Strange noises inside dash/engine bay caused by wind? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange noises inside dash/engine bay caused by wind?

AustinMada

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
I was driving my XLT today and noticed a strange sound coming from the dash area or engine bay. At around 45 MPH you can start to notice something sounding like paper being crumpled. As I got faster the noise gets louder and more frequent. Its obvious that the wind is playing a factor in this sound. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check under the hood for anything loose? Check the cowl below the windshield to make sure there isn't debris or foreign material in there or that it isn't loose. The early 5th gens had issues with the 'A' pillar coming loose.

Peter

I get weird noises after shutoff, I’ll have to see if it sounds like paper, kind of sounded like flaps or relays moving.

as peter states, check for paper under or in engine bay.

I get weird noises after shutoff, I’ll have to see if it sounds like paper, kind of sounded like flaps or relays moving.

That’s probably your HVAC junk doing it’s thing.

No, I hear the noise your talking about as well but figured it was normal. I took it to the dealer and they said there is nothing they could do for me. I'm stationed in Germany so for the dealer to work on it they need a solution before hand. They cant spend hours looking for the problem cause Ford wont pay for that. So we are having to live with it till someone in the states has the same problem and Ford post a newsletter about it. Do you guys know any Ford mechanics on this form that could shed light on this?

I wouldn’t expect much help from Ford.

I don't know about the dash noises as I always get out right after shutting down the engine but you'd be surprised at all the noises it makes afterwards, just standing there for a few minutes. Crazy.:eek:

Peter

It’s the sound of far too much technology, and impending failures and glitches.

Glad to see I'm not the only one getting these types of noises. I noticed on a Facebook group that a member there too had the same noises. He said his dealer told him it was a solenoid in the dash. To me that doesn't seem like an acceptable answer, so I'm going to take mine in Monday.

Some of the systems have timed shutdowns. That is where a lot of these noises come from.
Interesting, but I wouldn't expect that I wouldn't be hearing these noises at 65 mph

Lately, been getting a clunk(s) within the first 15 min of driving, coming down a hill to a stop. Almost sounds like a end link, but it seems to be only down hill stop/turns. Going over pot holes etc, nothing....freaking weird. I may take the front wheels off and poke around.

Similar noise I’m experiencing
Took video and want to post on here. Is that possible?

Similar noise I’m experiencing
Took video and want to post on here. Is that possible?

I just uploaded the video to youtube and then posted the link.

Lately, been getting a clunk(s) within the first 15 min of driving, coming down a hill to a stop. Almost sounds like a end link, but it seems to be only down hill stop/turns. Going over pot holes etc, nothing....freaking weird. I may take the front wheels off and poke around.

I'm wondering if the "clunk" I hear, is similar to that relay/click sound that randomly happens...I'll update if I find something loose when I take the wheels off.

Yes and yes
Taking it tomorrow to my local ford dealer to see what they say
Fingers crossed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, I hear the noise your talking about as well but figured it was normal. I took it to the dealer and they said there is nothing they could do for me. I'm stationed in Germany so for the dealer to work on it they need a solution before hand. They cant spend hours looking for the problem cause Ford wont pay for that. So we are having to live with it till someone in the states has the same problem and Ford post a newsletter about it. Do you guys know any Ford mechanics on this form that could shed light on this?
Any update on your dash noise problem? I was driving my XLT and noticed the noise you were talking about. It's not the noises similar to shut down after parking or a solenoid, like some people stated. It does seem to coincide with the wind at highway speeds but not all the time.

Back