Strange noises inside dash/engine bay caused by wind? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange noises inside dash/engine bay caused by wind?

I chased that sound for a day or two.
My issue may not be yours but...
My engine bonnet doesn't have an insulating blanket, and as a result the windshield washer lines would rattle at speed as they were just hanging loose. I secured them to the underside of the hood with black hockey tape. No more noise at speed.
It ain't pretty, and people laugh at my new Ford Explorer when I open the hood.
Luckily the shame is all Ford's, and not mine.

I am going to try this potential fix using Gorilla tape to press the loose washer fluid tubing against the hood surface.

I popped my hood and see the plastic washer fluid tubing clipped to the hood using plastic clips. I can just flick the loose tubing with my fingers and the sound it makes could very well be the hamster wheel sound I'm hearing from "behind my instrument cluster".

The plastic clips that hold the tubing to the hood fit in their hood holes very loosely and could create a rattle of their own, along with a rattling of the plastic tubing itself vibrating off the hood itself at higher speeds.

Thanks for the tip. I'll report back after I tape the tubing to the hood and take it on my next ride down the interstate.

My rattling occurs often and can most often be heard at constant interstate/thruway speed, with radio off.

I thought this was going to be my fix but it did not work out. I do have my Gorilla tape holding the washer fluid tubes to the hood now though, as shown below in last photo. LOL

20201126_120726.jpg

20201126_120733.jpg

20201126_121033.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think we might have two or three different sounds we're hearing on this thread. I have the clicking behind/under the instrument cluster.

Here's a snapshot of the different fixes recorded to this thread so far and I have not fixed mine yet. Although, I'm going to check that bolt on the underside again!

Fixes recorded on this thread as follows in summary:

P.Falcon: I checked the bolts under the drivers side undercarriage that holds the felt panel on and found one toward the front that was loose. Just by tapping the panel I was able to make it vibrate. Tightened it up and the noise is now gone.

Rapid Red Rocket: P. Falcon's solution earlier on this thread worked for me. The undercarriage under the driver's side is some of the felt covering that Ford seemed to love putting all around this vehicle. One of the bolts were loose so I tightened it. Somehow it fixed the paper rustling problem for me.

Jasondeg: Service advisor called me and said the battery connector was loose 🤷🏼‍♂️ But they tightened it and the noise is gone supposedly. Going to pick it up now. UPDATE: Noise is definitely gone from what they did. Drove on the interstate over 80 and no vibration at all. Strange but I’m not complaining.

Quickfix: I chased that sound for a day or two. My issue may not be yours but...My engine bonnet doesn't have an insulating blanket, and as a result the windshield washer lines would rattle at speed as they were just hanging loose. I secured them to the underside of the hood with black hockey tape. No more noise at speed.

Scottfmc: So I MAY have fixed my clicking issue. Once again it seems that an undercarriage cover is the culprit, except this time it is on the opposite side right under the driver's side dash. The connection has worked lose, and the metal(?!) washer rattles when the wind vibrates the undercarriage. I tried my best to tighten it down, but the bolt would not budge. In lieu in placed a stack of sticky felt spacers between the cover and the body to create tension and stop the rattle. Tested on a 20 min drive up to 80 mph and no noise. Fingers crossed. Will have to come up with something more permanent eventually though. UPDATE: 200 mile trip at interstate speeds and no rattling. I'll take it.

KKRISKAL: Finally, I think, just think might have found the culprit. The Center Console hand rest!!!. Everytime I hit that, it made a half metallic noise. So I was almost certain that those corroded/eroded roads were causing vibrations for it to rattle in those conditions. So I drove back and forth with my hand on the arm rest, keeping it open on occasions etc. and I could Not replicate the exact noise so I drove back all the way home and could Not hear it until now. It took me about 300 miles and the associated gas money but I think, just think and hope that I might have identified my rattle. Not sure yet, requires more testing but I hope I did, will keep you all posted. And after all the banging, opening closing it a zillion times, the center console does not even make that metallic rattle anymore, it is more of a plasticy noise now. So fingers crossed.

Does anyone know if this bulletin applies to the 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder engine? It has the right description.

Issue: Some 2020 Explorer/Aviator vehicles may exhibit a rattle type noise originating from the exhaust flexible pipe. This may be due to the natural harmonic frequency of the pipe. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to install a worm gear clamp over the exhaust flexible pipe.

Action: Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:

2020 Explorer/Aviator
Exhibits a rattle type noise originating from the exhaust flexible pipe

I have the same problem with my 2020 XLT. Sounds like it's coming from inside the dash below the instrument cluster.

As others have described, relays chattering, HVAC actuator searching sounds that you would expect from a worn out vehicle, paper crumpling, sparking?, and it occurs intermittently at highway speeds (at least) between 40 and 70 MPH. Does not inspire confidence at all. Eventually, someone will figure it out and we get if fixed.
I have been dealing with this same issue with the wife's 2020 Explorer Limited. Took it to Ford multiple times only to tell me they dont know what it is. I thought maybe something was dropped in the vents by the windshield, air cabin filter, loose wiring harness in the engine compartment...NOPE...but I finally found it! Thanks to the previous posts on this forum i was able to locate the problem. It was a untightened screw under the car that holds the shroud. It is right under the drivers side pedal area Underneath the vehicle. It is a 8mm bolt and took me 15 seconds to tighten. Noise problem solved for us. Hope the video helps others as well.

I have been dealing with this same issue with the wife's 2020 Explorer Limited. Took it to Ford multiple times only to tell me they dont know what it is. I thought maybe something was dropped in the vents by the windshield, air cabin filter, loose wiring harness in the engine compartment...NOPE...but I finally found it! Thanks to the previous posts on this forum i was able to locate the problem. It was a untightened screw under the car that holds the shroud. It is right under the drivers side pedal area Underneath the vehicle. It is a 8mm bolt and took me 15 seconds to tighten. Noise problem solved for us. Hope the video helps others as well.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Thanks for sharing.

Peter

Mine has developed the same noise and I think have traced it down to a plastic nut that holds that shield under the drivers side. When tapped it made a very loud sound right behind the driver area.

Upon edit, this stopped the noise. I am going to get under it next oil change and make sure they are all tight.

thanks

Thanks, I have a new hope that I can find something similar that's generating all the noises in mine.
I'll crawl under it this weekend after I set the ebrake on.

I'm having the same noise coming from the dashboard up by the dashboard. 45 mph and above and it gets louder.

I'm having the same noise coming from the dashboard up by the dashboard. 45 mph and above and it gets louder.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
It could very well be the cowl that is causing the noise you hear. Check to make sure it is not loose, especially in the corners. If it seems loose, you can try taping it down to see if that cures it.

Peter

Check the plastic thing in the engine compartment that covers the battery. Maybe that's what Peter meant by the cowl.

Check the plastic thing in the engine compartment that covers the battery. Maybe that's what Peter meant by the cowl.
The cowl is that piece that runs along the bottom area of the windshield and fills the gap between it and the hood.
The cowl and 'A' pillar were the causes of many 'wind' noises particularly in the early 5th gen units.

Peter

Back