Strange position of Stabilizer Bar link rubber bushing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange position of Stabilizer Bar link rubber bushing

dcdyd

Reaction score
City, State
Eden Prairie, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
I took a look at the rear suspension yesterday and found that both rubber bushings require attention for the Stabilizer Bar Link. However I found that it is strange to me that the position of both rubber bushings was installed on the same side. PLease look at the picture below.

Below is the image of the bushing at driver side rear.

5580021876_40a36c67a0_b.jpg

Below is the image of the bushing at passenger side rear.

5579438273_7260edcf28_b.jpg

Both bushing are at the left side of the stabilizer bar link. Both bushing are original. Should they be at the opposite side? If yes, which side of the bar link it should be at? I am going to replace it this weekend.

The truck lean towards left rear when turning right. I am not sure whether this is the cause or not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I called several parts store and they told me that the bushing and the link bar come togather. The bushing is not sold individually. If the parts is the same for both side, it will describe why it was installed that way as above.

Use the Moog K80085 Rear Sway Bar Endlink Repair Kit. (Only need one)

$11.64 w/ Free Super Saver Shipping @ Amazon. ($25 Minimum)

If needed, propane torch the bushings out, and immerse in cold water outdoors.
Much easier and quicker than pressing or chiseling them, albeit messy and smoky. GL

THanks for the information. I found it at Amazon. This could save me from buying the link kit which I don't need. Now when I install the bushing only, should I follow the exact position shown as above?

One bushing on each side. Use thread lock if possible.

* Torque spec is 50-68 ft/lb. Notorius for coming loose. (Corrected)

Thank you very much for the help.

Corrected torque spec 50-68 ft/lb.

One more question. You said 'One bushing on each side'. Each side of what? The truck or the link bar? If you mean the truck, then only need two bushing in total. If you mean the link bar, then need 4 bushings in total. The picture on AMazon shows 8 bushings in total.

Four bushings for each end link. Two top, two bottom on each side.

If you need to burn them it will be very smoky and smelly, much easier though.

Definitely a worthwhile project and will improve handling. Glad to help you if I can.

P.S.- Check your front links. More prone to breaking than rears. 2 needed (Moog K7275)

Appreciate the help again. I will check the front also. I noticed rear problem because I was going to replace the rear shocks.

Back