Strange question but where is the horn on an '03 Ranger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange question but where is the horn on an '03 Ranger

MNBen

Reaction score
City, State
Cosmos, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ranger 4x4 XLT Ext. Ca
1999 Ranger 4x4 XLT Extended cab 4.0 with '03 engine, wire harness, ignition, and PCM.

Since the previous owner put in the '03 wire harness he did not hook up the old horn which is in the front driver corner behind the headlight. But I cannot find any wire in that area what so ever to hook the the horn. I did find a wire/plug that goes nowhere behind the front passenger headlight. The plug is blue. If you have an '03 ranger could you check at where your horn is and if possible what the plug I mentioned is for below is a picture.

Thanks,
MNBen

DSCF4312.jpg

My 2003 has two horns on a bracket that bolts to the front of the radiator core support on the passenger side behind the grille near the AC condenser. The 2003 horn color codes are dark blue (hot) and black (ground) and the connector looks similar to the one in your picture.

The Ford Wiring Manual has the 99 horn on the driver side as you said. It is shown as being grounded through its mounting bolt so you should only need the dark blue connected to it. I'd just extend that 2003 dark blue wire, route it carefully over the driver side and connect it to the hot terminal of the existing 99 horn.

Thank you rwenzing, I tried to check the wires in the picture using a light and pressing the horn but found my clockspring is bad. My Haynes manual only went up to '99 (before I knew about the '03 stuff) and the color of the wire is blue. So thank you for that as well. The clockspring will be here tomorrow and I will soon have a horn after that.

MNBen

Back