Strange Sound - Just after oil change to Synthetic? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange Sound - Just after oil change to Synthetic?

Badspell68

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 5.0 AWD 4-Door
97 Explorer AWD 5.0 141,000

Just switched to synthetic oil today. Now I hear a sound I never heard before, engine is making many sounds that sound very similar to a Diesel engine??

Can synthetic damage my engine, I have always used standard oil in the pas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

97 Explorer AWD 5.0 141,000

Just switched to synthetic oil today. Now I hear a sound I never heard before, engine is making many sounds that sound very similar to a Diesel engine??

Can synthetic damage my engine, I have always used standard oil in the pas?

Does it sound like a tick, tick, tick sound?

Is it doing it right away and for how long did you run it for like that?

It could be filter is not full yet and oil needs to fill up the lifters and all that stuff yet.

Oil is oil and no it not going to bugger it up, the sound is like something is not getting full lubrication yet, but if it continues then don't run it yet, lets try and see if there is a filter issue.

Don't remember how long till I discovered it but I think it was fairly soon after the change.

Ran it for around 10 to 15 miles.

Don't remember how long till I discovered it but I think it was fairly soon after the change.

Ran it for around 10 to 15 miles.

What filter did you use?

Also did the sound stop now?

Sound is still there. Used whatever Jiffy Lube put in.

Oh wait you had this all done by Jiffy Lube?

Check what filter is on it.

BAD, c'mon!!! Jiffy Lube?!!! I know, I know. There's probably nothing wrong with their oil changes, especially since you used synthetic, but it would be an insult to my manhood AND mechanical competence to have Jiffy Lube change my oil.

I wouldn't let them START my truck!!!

Synthetic will not damage your engine...it is FAR superior to conventional motor oil.

I'd drop the filter and change the oil again...or switch back to that cold and dark and like death conventional oil and see what happens!!!

I would drop the filter and find what they used and i would use an Amsoil Filter if that is not what is on it.

Check the filter if you drop it out to see if any crap is in it and what size the filter is too?

Not sure, some no-name or corp brand I think

If its a Valvoline Oil Filter or a No Name Brand, then remove it and replace it with a proper Amsoil Oil Filter.

The amsoil Filter Number is EAO11 for your 5.0L http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/detail.aspx?ID=3448

I wonder if Jiffy used a crappy filter that is for a lower speced motor too. I would call them up and find out what filter they used, as for the Oil the "Max Life" is a synthetic blend formula and not a full synthetic oil. It is a OK oil and does what it states, but i myself will go with Amsoil Full Synthetic Oil.

Here is a link to Max Life oil on Valvolines website.

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=7

If the filter is plugged up with gunk now or to small, you will get a tapping noise or tick, tick tick noise, sounds like a diesel engine.

Does it sound like this one on you tube, its a car by the way?

Courtesy of you tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeXTPxBjujA

Found the problem...Juffy Lube. I was a full quart low. Added it and now the sound is gone.
They sure were in a Jiffy to destroy my engine!

Found the problem...Juffy Lube. I was a full quart low. Added it and now the sound is gone.
They sure were in a Jiffy to destroy my engine!

Well that explains it for sure, to low on oil will do it too, but we all assumed Jiffy Lube did the job right.... A$$ES they are.

Never take it in, do it yourself.. :)

Hahaha...they'll destroy your engine in a "Jiffy"...lol

If I was DESPERATE for an oil change and for SOME reason I HAD to have it changed at a quick-lube joint I'd definately use Valvoline.

At least Valvoline is GOOD oil!!!

Doesn't Jiffy Lube use Quaker State? I'd rather run Wolf's Head!!!

YES! I'm going to start doing it myself, based on the truck I have what do I need to start doing it myself; Please indicate tools and anything I may need..I'm a newbie at this.

BAD...all you need is an drain (oil) pan (your choice, they're plastic and available at any auto parts store next to the oil), an oil filter wrench (buy the "expensive" one, which is usually like 10 or 12$...make sure you get the right size and a plastic funnel. Any will do.

Our FL1-A (Motorcraft) filters are a decent size. What I do is get the filter off of the shelf and take it over to the oil filter wrenches to make sure that the oil filter wrench is big enough. Last, you need the wrench or socket to loosen the drain plug on the bottom of then oil pan.

Pop the hood, take off you oil filler cap.

Put drain pan under oil pan. Loosen drain plug with your ratchet/wrench
until you can loosen it with your fingers. Pull it off and let oil drain.

After it has drained well (I wait 5 minutes), put the drain plug back in. SNUG it, DON'T over-tighten it.

Move the drain pan underneath your oil filter. Take your oil filter wrench and loosen oil filter. Be careful NOT to hit the electrical contacts of the starter with the metal oil filter wrench. I've done this on a couple of vehicles (my Wrangler, especially), and it's not good. Sparks!!! Heh, you'll be fine. Trust me.

After filter is loosened, spin it the rest of the way off...it almost always makes a mess...like all the way down your arm.

Now, you NEED to lube the rubber gasket on the new filter. Open a quart of your new oil (5W30), dip your finger in the new oil and lightly coat the gasket of the new oil filter with the new oil.

Spin the new filter on until the gasket contacts the engine. NOW, tighten it an extra 3/4 to 1 turn. Not TOO tight!!!

Add oil, put oil filler cap back on. Start engine, let run for a minute. Turn off, let sit for a couple minutes. Pull the oil dipstick and wipe clean. Re-insert dipstick and check oil level a couple of times.

That's it!!! You're done. VERY easy, takes about 15-20 minutes if you take your time. Takes me 10 minutes.

Exactly like 35Remmy said to do.

One claification though when putting on new filter, HAND TIGHTEN snug, then turn 3/4 to 1 full turn after its snug, don't use the oil wrench to put new filter or tightening use hand(s).

Other note, if your worried about the starter thing, take your battery cables off, note this will reset the computer and truck will run a little rough for about 10 miles or so before it reprograms itself.

One more note, fill the new filter up about half way, this is essential for upper lubing right off the get go, otherwise its not good practice to put filter on without any oil in it.

Back