Strange Sounds | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange Sounds

afrancois22

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4-Door
Hello!

For the last week my car (2002 Explorer XLT) has been making unusual sounds. Prior to the sounds occurring, I had changed the steering column, rack and pin, and did an oil (and filter) change, new serpentine belt, and fixed an issue with the thermostat housing.
I was so happy, my car sounded normal for the first time since I bought it a few months ago! Alas, this bliss was short lived.

Here is a video showing my car making its peculiar sounds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKzpfiuz07A&feature=youtu.be

It makes a sound while idling, and there seems to be a second sound whenever I accelerate. On some days the first sound disappears entirely, sometimes it is unbearably present.
I also noticed that the hose that runs down from the coolant reservoir has been punctured from getting in the way of the serpentine belt, and the idler puller looks a little worn.

Any ideas or thoughts as to what it may be?
I would like to have an idea before bringing it to my mechanic only for him to take forever to figure out what it is, and I would rather not have to deal with the local Ford Dealership as I have a good relationship with my mechanic.

Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With what ever it is sounding like that, the more you drive it the more likely your going to need 3k for an engine. I'd let it be until it can be looked at.

It may be your belt tensioner pulley or idler.

Today I will changing out the serpentine belt tensioner and an idler pulley. Just after a torrential rainstorm the Ex went through some flooded streets/intersections. A couple days later much higher noise during idle and reving. I took the belt off and spun each pulley to find noise from the tensioner and an idler was dragging a bit. I suggest you do that same check to isolate your noise.

As [MENTION=162080]FordFool2[/MENTION] said, test all the accessory belt pulley's. With the belt off, spin them, they should stop pretty quick, probably one (at best) rotations. If they continue to free spin at all, they're bad.

I find myself hesitant to touch anything engine related.
I successfully loosened the belt and got a good look at the harmonic balancer and tensioner. The harmonic balancer's inner component wasn't flush to the outer and wiggled a little. The tensioner pulley also had a great amount of play.
As exciting as a project it would be for me to do myself, I will be bringing it to my mechanic later today to fix the issues.

Alternator bearing?

Tom

Back