Strange vent problem on 2013 Explorer Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange vent problem on 2013 Explorer Limited

Milan Stojic

Reaction score
City, State
KATY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 explorer limited
Hi everyone,

Have a problem with my front vents. I have read a bunch of posts, suggesting solutions, but didn't resolve mine. I have an issue where air (hot or cold) will blow from top windshield (defrost?) vents, and the small ones above the side vents, but not the main side and middle vents.

I have checked both actuators on passengers side, the one that is tucked in on the left of the glove box kicks in, and i get hot air if i need it, and the one straight behind the glove box also spins (i took it out) and i can see it working. I can also manually move the door in the vent box where air goes through and hear it doing the "clap" noise when it opens or closes for circulation. I ordered a new actuator, same thing, no change (figured because mine seems to work).

I still cant get the side and middle wents to blow any air out of them. I took the middle console completely out hoping i will find something around the vents, maybe another actuator on the driver side or something, but I cant locate anything. I have read in one of the posts that Explorers with Dual zone AC have one on drivers side. Is this true? Could this be the issue, and if so where is the damn thing located? Looking with my flashlight around i couldnt find anything that looks like an air box directing air.

Any input, or finger in right direction, would be much appreciated. TX got super hot, and my windshield is not what i need to cool down, my face is LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe this will help? It's from the 2011-2015 Component Views in the List of Useful Threads in the 'Sticky' section.

1591632815089.png

Peter

Maybe this will help? It's from the 2011-2015 Component Views in the List of Useful Threads in the 'Sticky' section.

View attachment 317167

Peter
So if i`m understanding this picture, there is a C236 defrost/panel/floor mode door actuator. looking at this, the one i was troubleshooting was the fresh/recirculation door actuator, and temp blend door actuator. Ok it does help!!!! Thanks brother! Now for the crucial question. Where the hell is that C236 actuator :banghead:

Not sure if this thread (1st page) helps. Heater blowing out top vents Apparently it is not the easiest to get at.

Peter
yeah, i located one actuator on the drivers side, and apparently, not the one i am looking for. this one is to blow hot air, so from that pic above i think i`m certain its the C2091, and it was an absolute ***** to get to :(

so i am sure its the one that is deepest in, and hardest to reach...of course. why would it be any other way. looking at that post you shared now. thanks again. will circle back if i find this damned thing

yeah, i located one actuator on the drivers side, and apparently, not the one i am looking for. this one is to blow hot air, so from that pic above i think i`m certain its the C2091, and it was an absolute ***** to get to :(

so i am sure its the one that is deepest in, and hardest to reach...of course. why would it be any other way. looking at that post you shared now. thanks again. will circle back if i find this damned thing
Keep the swear jar and bandaids close by.

Keep the swear jar and bandaids close by.
swearjar already full, and i just managed to find the damned thing, by tanking the instrument cluster out. went through box of bandaids as well.

i found it, there is not way in world i will be replacing this without taking the dashboard out. it is virtually impossible. i am 6` 7" and i dont bend that way to go under where the pedals are, and my hands cant fit in the opening behind the cluster either. it`ll have to wait for me to get some will to do this. dont happen to have a link that outlines how to take the dashboard out? lol ... i am googling it already

:D Let's just hope that is what's causing the problem.

Peter

Peter
Dont you dare go there :laugh:
Going to try and scan it with Forscan. Hopefully it can tell the error. I am not going to do it anytime soon. I recharged the AC, and will keep it higher as it doesnt blow directly at me...until i gather the will to do this nightmare of a job :banghead:

Peter
is there some kind of a write up on how to replace the AC compressor. i think i just burned my clutch today. one of the aluminum hoses got slightly bent, built up the pressure and i got some grayish/white smoke, smelling like burning rubber coming out from the compressor area :(

i am fixing the hose, but have a feeling that i need the compressor as the clutch seems to be just spinning non stop and flapping around. wondering how difficult it is to replace.

I found these using the Forum' 'Search' feature. They are questions on replacing the clutch but no instructions. Have you tried searching for YouTube videos?

Peter

I found these using the Forum' 'Search' feature. They are questions on replacing the clutch but no instructions. Have you tried searching for YouTube videos?

Peter

Thanks Peter. Search options are not always useful on forums. I did read both those threads, but they weren't helpful. All YT videos I found are for older models. Haven't seen any for 5th gen where the compressor is under the engine.

When I can't find it I ask to see if anyone knows, but I am certainly not sitting and waiting for an answer but searching for a solution...if someone chimes in, great, if not, oh well 🤷

Thanks for the help though.

Back