Strengthening Crossmember???

BigDave!!!

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 2WD
not quite sure if this thread belongs in the susp. section but anyway. i was wondering if there was any way to strengthen your front crossmember that connects to your lower control arms so this does not happen: bent crossmember
i was wondering if it would be possible to plate the crossmember so it does not bent but im not sure that would work. i push my suspension and actually the whole car to its limits racing around in the desert and have heard of a few people that have bent their crossmembers doint this. any ideas on if this is possible???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think dixonbrosracing does a crossmember for the ranger, i couldnt see why it wouldnt fit. im gonna call them pretty soon about it, i kno this is a misprint, but on their site it said they had one for fifty bucks.

if they really did have one for fifty bucks i would be all over that! thanks for the info ill give em a call too.

best thing to do is take it to a fab shop near your house and have them cut the bottom out of it and weld a 3/16" wall piece of box tube in place of the flimsy bottom.

The you will break rocks before they bend your x-member.

hey i just ran out and thought i'd show you how bad mine is.. i burped a hill and didnt see this boulder, and landed on it..

306944_103_full.jpg

306944_104_full.jpg

wow you really did bent that thing, i just gave dixon bros an e mail about the x member and the price so ill post up wen i have more info

just got an e mail back from the dixon bros and this is what they said when i questioned the price of the x member

"Dave, $50 is what we are shooting for. It will tie the rear lower
a-arm pivots together with the factory bolts. Pretty simple, but very
effective. Rules do not allow us to add crossmembers to our race truck,
and the pivots are 3/4 inch bent inward! We should have pictures posted
soon... Thanks.

Aaron"

of course you can strengthen it, box it, plate it, add braces and support.
protect it would work too

Back