stripped security torx(maf)

thewishkah

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer xlt
Ok recently my cone filter came off my intake and was like that for I dont know how long. I put it back on but my gas mileage is horrible 6.8 mpg(thinking maybe the mafs got pretty dirty) when I went to take it out to clean it the security torx screw head was a little stripped and is now completly stripped.

My question is how do I go about getting it out to clean my MAFS. I thought about taking a small saw, or a dremel to the head so I can use a flat head screw driver but being it is the mafs I dont want to use anything that might break the filament since they are expensive.

Any help is much apreciated , with gas prices the way they are I need to atleast try and see if I get any results out of cleaning it.
thanks for the help.
Jon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dremeled my and it worked great.

Last night I took my MAF out. I used a small screw driver and bent the pin in the security torx screw over back and forth a few times and it snaped out allowing me to use a T20 torx to remove the screws.

6.8 mpg <- erp!!

I hacksawed mine into a flathead screw, works great. I used one of the hacksaws thats just a little handle with the blade sticking out of the end. It took a little work, but i had it done pretty quick

vice grips can get that sucker loose. replace it with a normal screw

or dremmel it into a flathead.

410Fortune said:
vice grips can get that sucker loose. replace it with a normal screw

or dremmel it into a flathead.
Those screws can be a real ***** :D

Attachments

• Mvc-023s.jpg
    Mvc-023s.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 402

Why do you need to remove the actual sensor from the housing? You can clean it with it still on there.

Left handed drill bits are gods gift to the earth.

Love the photo Spindle

I think spindlecone needs a larger pipe wrench. That one seems a bit small for the screw he is trying to remove. :D

got her done with a come along tied to a big tree, hella job:)

Attachments

• Mvc-023s.jpg
    Mvc-023s.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 391

HA HA! attach a winch to the MAF housing and you might have a chance to get it off.

Cleaned my MAF right in the housing. I don't think you need to separate it from it. Also lessons chance of you damaging it.

izwack what do you mean erp?, love the pics spindlecone and how would I go about cleaning it in the housing?

Hey Spindlecone is that the new Leatherman model ? :D

ERP as in its unbelievable!

thewishkah said:
izwack what do you mean erp?, love the pics spindlecone and how would I go about cleaning it in the housing?

remove whole MAF housing, spray electrical cleaner on the wire sensor, let dry, reinstall.

Well in my mission to clean maf I broke my heater temp control?(black plastic with a metal pressure release) the thing was wrotted badly so I bought a new one and put it in. so I got looking for other issues and found a vacum hose was disconected by the top left of the engine (alittle hard to get to with big hands).

I put the hose back on the tree it came off of and my idle dropped like 2-300 and idles smoothly no more eratic idle. Could this of contributed to my poor gas milage? thanks again for all the help. Now with a clean mafs, a filter that wont fall off again and the vacum leak fixed maybe i can get DECENT milage lol.

Cool, be sure to keep us updated on your MPG.

I'm gonna do this tomorrow, do I need to remove the sensor from the MAF housing or not to do the cleaing? I've heard mixed things. I really don't wanna break anything trying to get those torx screws off. I'd much rather just take the housing off my intake, disconnect the electrical connection and use the cleaner directly on the wires without the swearing and cussing associated with the torx. Also, is This a good cleaner to use?

Back