Stripped torque converter less then 1 year after rebuild ??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stripped torque converter less then 1 year after rebuild ???

bruce119

Reaction score
City, State
Holiday, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Explorer
Quick story 93X 2WD A4LD had 178,500 miles. Got a total transmission rebuild just under a year ago 9-3-13. Had a 1 yr./12,000 mile warranty. Any way to the quick stopped at red light went to accelerate went about 10 feet maybe got to 5-10 mph and nothing no warning like a chain broke on a bike. Was worried about millage at present has 189,500 put 11,000 on just made warranty got it to the shop 3 days ago....

Shop calls says it’s a stripped torque converter, they ordered a new one it’s on its way....

I wonder why would this happen. Trany did have a few small quarks after rebuild.

1-Would go into lock-up and stay locked more than I thought it even at slower speeds like 45 I would kick the gas and it would come out...Before rebuild never had lock-up..
2-On cold starts would take long time (30 sec.) to engage in reverse if I revved the engine it would engage quicker.
3-Also when hot it sometimes when coming to a stop would not start back out in low (1st). Here in FL it’s flat not a problem but in N.C. mountains I would have to put it manually in low to get going up a hill.

Thoughts anything I should be concerned about anything I should ask the shop
Don’t really want a repeat only got 1 month/1,000 miles left on the warranty....

Thanks stuck at home had to tell my story...
Bruce from Florida

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its not a common failure for this transmission to have the converter internal spline to strip but I guess it could happen.

The delay in reverse is not acceptable for a rebuild, it should be fixed before they give it back, and the second gear starts is a sticky governor, they should replace the governor housing and valve with brand new OEM parts, they are available and not expensive, I replace them or all A4LD rebuilds I do, just because of this issue. Its a very common after rebuild problem.

James, Thank you for your reply..

I just got the truck back yesterday they told me the spines stripped out?? I didn't see it and asked if there was any concern of a repeat what caused it in the first place..got the answer these happen sometime (but rare) it (T.C.) could have been rebuilt a few time and was week. I didn't see it???

I am taking a trip today about 150 miles to give it a test run to see how the trans feels...

One question now if you don't mind how should the T.C. lock-up work...

I had issues with that before after the original rebuild it seemed to go into lockup early about 45 mph and felt like it was sticking in lockup. It would drop out just fine when you slowed but if it was locked at say 45-55 you had to press the accelerator fairly hard to get it to release kind of like up-shifting to a lower gear the RPMs would race up say to about 3500-4000 a bit before it engaged. It just wasn't a smooth release out of lock-up sometimes...

Any thoughts...

I will report back on today's test run...
Thanks again
Bruce

Lockup is controlled by the computer so we need to find out if the computer is not releasing the converter or the transmission is not releasing it when commanded by the computer.

External problems can include the computer itself, TPS, coolant temp sensors, etc. Anything that the computer uses to determine temperature and load.

Tranny problems will be in the valve body, like the TCC valve train and the TCC solenoid.

The way to monitor the computer signal is to monitor the ground signal at the case connector, The computer will ground the wire when it wants the TCC to engage. This should be done by the shop that rebuilt the tranny, but if you want to check it yourself I can give you some more info on it.

TPS was just changed this past winter, Computer was replaced about 3-4 years ago at dealer with new. I read that when you apply brake the TC should disengage it doesn't.

Now I did the brake about 2 years ago had an issue with ABS it would engage just before a stop and the pedal would pump not a good feeling. I pulled the fuse to ABS and braking was fine now I wounder if that is effecting the communication with the computer...I will put the fuse back in place and see if there is a change....

Thanks for helping...headed out for 150 mile trip...
Bruce

Well did 150 miles yesterday..Trany went OK I'm not used to lock-up, before rebuild never had lock-up, but it's OK just have to get used to it.

It does seem to hang in lock-up longer then it should. I read that if you tap the brakes lock-up should release something, like cruse control, but it dose not...

Now I disabled the ABS about 2 years ago by pulling the fuse..that made the ABS light come on in dash...I thought maybe the computer wasn't communicating with trans because the ABS fuse was pulled...I put fuse back in BUT my ABS light is still on. Not sure what happen over the last 2 years for ABS not to work...I'll have to look into that...

But do you or anyone know that the computer gets it's info from the ABS and relays it to the TTC for it to unlock when brake is applied...It sounds logical to me but sometimes the Auto industry doesn't do things logically....

Thanks
Bruce

You may have to get the ABS codes.

Bruce the ABS light will stay on until one of two things happens... Have it cleared by scanner or let it be til it's 256th good self-test.

Do you know any way to clear it at home I did disconnect the battery to reset the computer???

I am guessing that 256th good self-test is after hitting the brake pedal 256 times???

thanks

Bruce I may have been thinking about the airbag tests when you start the truck.

Back