• Register Today It's free!

stripped torx head bolt

rogi

Reaction score
City, State
Ithaca, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'2001 XLT
I'm pulling the head off an '01 SOHC XLT due to a presumed blown head gasket.
We've almost got the suspect (left side cyl4-6) head off, but of course the last head bolt is being difficult. It's the back lower bolt (outside the valve cover), and I'm afraid the torx surface is beginning to strip/slip. All the other bolts are loose. Any tips on how to remove this bugger, once the inside of the torx is shot?

Rogi

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

once the inside is shot the best method it to drill the head off it with a drill bit that is the same size as the bolt under the head,,
than once you get the head out of the way a stud extractor can be put on the remaining bolt,,

I'm concerned there will not be enough room to drill in back by the firewall (may need a right angle chuck). And if I do get the bolt head drilled off, will there be enough clearance to pull the head over the remaining bolt?

I tried an external extractor last night, but it was not deep enough to clear the head bolt surround and would not bite. So, I was going to try finding either a deep external extractor (a #12), or try an internal extractor with splines.
Is this a waste of time/$?

Good suggestion. Easily done and can only help, but only if I can get a bite on that bolt head (which is now beyond using the Torx)!

since the torx pattern is probably sripped to a circle why not try extractors.

they are remove twist screw in so the more force to remove the tighter they get in the hole.

something like this
52528.JPG

Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about! Can they be had individually or must you buy a whole set? Autoparts store, or online?

pretty sure you can buy them individually

take a nut and weld it to the bolt from the inside of the nut welding down through the threads. so you can put a socket on the outside. the heat will also help loosen up the lock the threads on the bolt have on the block.

Back