Strobes in the X | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strobes in the X

Well, I had to give in. I got these strobes: http://www.galls.com/shop/viewProductDetail.jsp?item=GR077

And this controller: http://www.galls.com/shop/viewProductDetail.jsp?item=GR087

Gonna see what it's like. It'll be a lil for show, but I plan on yankin more stupid people outta ditches in the winter....So these will give more warning. If police have a problem with it, oh well, it's for my safety, and I'll tell em, I'm studying law enforcemen(I acutally am) at Western IL...4th best in the major!
Pete

I'll let ya know how they turn out

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks good! as long as you don't have red and/or blue on the front, you should be OK, and like you said, its SAFTEY equipment... utility (gas/electric/phone) vehicles have them in my area, so it's not a LEO-only thing

eventually, i want to get strobes for my truck, for basicly the same reasons... keeping idiots from plowing into you.

man, i hope they work out for ya! ive been thinkin about gettin strobes too, but none have been very bright. i hope these are gonna be as bright as a cops(since thats what they for). keep us informed and good luck

Pete you spent 200.00 on some strobes?

To be honest with ya i have been thinking about geeting so Purple neon for the insides of the X.

Keep us informed.

PLease let me know how it turns out. I'm really interested in getting some of these.

Commocozy, there's an old saying, "You get what you pay for." They have them at Pep Boys for $20, but how long will they last, and are the elements replacable?

Man, your making me jealous now! I don't like my wimpy Street Glow strobes..i need some strobes with some POWER! haha

Oh, and Commocozy - GET NEON :) hehe

Carl

Pete, is it legal in Ill to pull people out of ditches. I was doing it last winter a bunch and people like my boss got all over me saying that it was a big fine, and the cops didn't like it. Something about being unsafe and probably something else along the lines of if a drunk goes into a ditch and I would free him up, and send him on his way. Kind of things heard where I tend bar at this place up in the Bluffs of LaCrosse( FYI a bluff is like the closest thing to a mountain around here, kind of a mini mountian like 400 ft tall LOL)

Uh, I don't think it's illegal to pull people outta ditches.... Infact, as I was pulling someone outta a ditch last year, a sherriff pulled up and asked me 3 things.
1. What happened?
2. Are ya gonna be able to get her out?
3. How can I help.

I was on a main thourough fair, so I wanted a clear lane for me to yank her out in, and asked the cop to block the lane I was in, and to back up and give me some room. Then a city cop rolled up, trying to get involved( I don't like wheaton cops) and the sherriff told him to get lost. Bottom line, I pulled the girl out, and the cop came up and thanked me and said good job. So, i don't think it's illegal...But I'm not sure... None the less, cops may not always be around, so if I don't have a cop to block my lane, my lights will help me get noticed.
Pete

Heh...good old Wheaton cops ehh?? There was a really cool one last night though...

Dead Link Removed

read about it

Carl

lol....yea, they're not the best. There are a few cool ones I know....But most of em like giving me a hard time Oh well, if I'm helping a stranded stupid motorist and they yell at me for strobes, I'll ask em if they rather leave me be, or if they'd like to clean up the mess as someone hits me, because they couldn't see me.

Also, got the controller and bulbs yesterday....They look really really nice!

Pete

Do the strobes light up white like the ones in cop cars?

For those of you wondering, the strobes Pete bought are the same ones used police/fire depts. They are 100x better than the ones from street glow, etc. Being an officer myself, I was gonna have our squad set-up guy put some strobes on all 4 corners of my Ex, I'm just not fond of having to drill the 1" holes in the backs of my lights. I don't think that you would get harassed by any cops if you used the strobes for the "reason" you claim, just don't get the red or blue ones.

Nope, I plan on sticking with clear or amber lights, so since I know it's legal for tow trucks, I see no reason why I cant slide by for the benifit of citizens.... LOL...I'll add the blue and red ones when I work my way up and use my truck on brutal blizard like day.....Just when a squad car won't cut it ;)

Pete

Back