Solved - Strut Cross bar info parts and install | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Strut Cross bar info parts and install

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
Should I be ordering 4x

Support Bracket Screw - Ford (-W709633-S439)​

Or does that PN include the four screws? Thanks in advance!
The package included 4 bolts. I got the best price from levittown ford a sponsor here on the forum. I sent them a message and got free shipping. Really responsive to my questions. Even answered my questions on the weekend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The package included 4 bolts. I got the best price from levittown ford a sponsor here on the forum. I sent them a message and got free shipping. Really responsive to my questions. Even answered my questions on the weekend.
Thank you!

I added a decal to mine, I wanted something 🤷‍♂️ I like it :)
F36D87F0-0C93-4067-ADCD-1CB9D462072E.jpeg

On the base and some? XLT models the strut tower bar or cross bar may be missing or not installed. Here are the parts and info needed to add the OEM one.

bvqJtJyj6zsaAuCldraIzqInppfe1ld94ulKEJ-hYNTAIw9vcAx2hOH9dmGWLHzN3MWP5HrlwBbBTlGhhkcgL-AqNuzf0dOKopdTy-BIQr3Li95aiAEukEuvIgs_iF54GojCBjPiI5ie

2020-Ford-Explorer-Engine-Bay.jpg

Parts:
1 x cross bar L1MZ-16A200-A
4 x cross bar bolts W709633-S439 (from my understanding it is 4 bolts) I will check my engine bay shortly.

Part numbers above are links to autonation whitebearlake who has pretty good pricing.
Does this include the 05 XLT?

My 2005 Mustang GT came with a stock strut brace, and it was common to upgrade to the Shelby brace (looked better) or swap for an aftermarket stronger brace. There was never any doubt in the Mustang community that the strut brace was needed to tighten up the handling, so I’m surprised it wouldn’t be on all Explorers.

Bruce

Question for the new strut tower brace owners; Have you noticed any change in "feel" during normal driving or aggressive cornering etc.?

Just to update, you will want to order 4x the bolt PN. Ford will ship you a single bag with 4 bolts and washers, and it will say (4x) after the PN. I think they package them for each order.

For those who already installed, was there a specific procedure or torque you used, loctite, etc? Or just snug them up good?

Edited - I installed, just good and snug. Not a loctite application. Contact + 1 flat of the nut felt right. I'm happy with the results.

IMG_20210325_111933726.jpg

If anyone wants a pack of 4 bolts, I was sent 2 by mistake. I will ship them to you for cost of shipping, just send me a PM.

I installed my strut tower brace without issue but was disappointed with the thin metal Ford used to make it. Seems pretty wimpy to span the engine bay and may be more for aesthetic purposes than truly functional. Better than nothing I guess...

Back