• Register Today It's free!

Struts 05 XLT 4WD 4DR 6 cyl 99K

bkw05XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 XLT
So I did a search and didn't find a whole lot about replacing struts on this vehicle. It looks like most folks are recommending NOT doing it yourself. So I guess I'll take it to the mechanic.

Here's the deal. I noticed something was leaking by the left rear tire. I was bringing it to the tire shop anyway and they said the leak was in the rear strut and that I needed to replace all 4 corners. They are quoting over $500 fr fronts and another $500+ for backs. Is this reasonable?

Should I go with whatever struts they have (likely Monroe from what I saw on the ads) or should I make a change or upgrade? No off road driving, daily around town with a couple of long (200-1K miles) road trips per year.

Thanks for any advice. I just had to replace all 4 tires and brakes (rotors, calipers) because the guy I bought the truck from had left it sitting in his yard for several months, rarely taking it out. The rotors were so messed up the edges were chipped all around and there was a LOT of rust. The guy had also broken three of the four valve stems and I need to find out if they can be replaced without replacing the entire sensor, at another $100 per wheel. DOH! He broke off the threaded piece that you screw the valve stem cap onto. Any ideas about replacing tose parts without replacing the entire sensor? The repair kits (service packs?) don't contain that part.

I got a pretty good deal on the truck a few months ago, knowing I'd have to replace tires soon and thinking I'd at least need a brake job. But this is ridiculous.

Thanks again for any advice.:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

$1000 is STEEEEEEP for replacing struts IMO....but I do all vehicle Maintence myself and dont exactly have $1k lying around either....
Did you physically verify that the strut was leaking?.....Yeah, @100K they should be replaced, but if you didnt see it they cooooould clean it up and then it'll come back and bam! more $ for them!

rotors and Calipers? Pads? Why the calipers?

Check Ebay for those sensors.....

Hi! Thanks for responding!
Yeah, I knew something was leaking on the left rear so I figured that would have to be fixed. I wasn't sure if it was the strut or a brake line connection.

The calipers, I'm not sure if they actually replaced them. I haven't picked up the truck yet but there was a possibility... The pads and rotors definitely had to go. There was a LOT of damage to the rotors. I noticed it when I was looking at the valve stems. It wasn't noticeable when I first got the truck, but since then I've put a couple K miles on it. Apparently, because it sat so long in the elements with the guy I bought it from, the brakes must have "seized" a little and everything was rusted. Somehow the edges of the rotors got chewed up. They were badly pitted to the point it looked like something had been chewing on them.

I got the sensor repair kits but apparently the one part that's busted off doesn't come in the kit. I knew the guy had busted these because he did it the day I picked the car up and I took $$$ off the price since that was an added repair. I was hoping I could get away with new stems and not replace the sensor units all around. I knew it needed tires and brake pads. I just didn't count on such an extensive - expensive - brake job.

Any advice on what kind of struts I should go with? I'll be having those done in the next couple of weeks. I'd love to be able to do this myself but I've never done it before and from what I read in the archives it's not an easy fix. (I didn't do the brakes because I never mess with my brakes or steering. Just a superstition, I guess. Most other stuff I'll fix on my own.)

Thanks again

Dealer wanted only $800 for all 4 OEM. I had to replace mine and he wanted 860 for it. .but there was a mistake and i got them for 400 for all 4. Check Sears sometimes they have a special or sale. I have done 2 heeps that way got 4 with free install but mind you those where 'real' shocks'. Struts are about 60-80 each. .

x2 Fleabay for those sensors, plus you will need the magnet to program them. I have the instructions.

I just had Sears do mine. They charged 500 for the Monroe Sensa Track struts and only 100 for the labor. They had a 1/2 off labor sale last month, 25 for each strut. They were cursing my name trying to remove the rears...25 a strut was a bargain if you ask me. Not worth my time for that amount. I did have to replace the rear coils that were broken so do not be surprised if you find yours broken as well. I think it was like 80 to buy new ones.

Yeah, the stuck strut issue is what I was getting from the archives so it seemed like something I didn't want to tackle. I'll look around for deals. I think this can wait a week or two.

Thanks

Back