Struts

Walt75

Reaction score
City, State
Savannah Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT 4x4
Hi
I am working on my 06 Explorer. I was wondering if the rear struts from a 2003 Explorer work on the 06 Explorer? Another question is when I am driving the 06 down the highway it feels like it’s floating any ideas? I think all my struts are bad. Please let me know

Thanks
Walter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I looked at Monroe quick struts and the part numbers from 2003 and 2006 are different so I would say no they will not fit.
one way to tell if struts are bad is when you hit a bump the car will bounce up and down and take a while to settle back down kinda like being on a boat in the waves. That could be the floating feeling you are getting on the highway. Another way to test is to bounce each corner of the vehicle and see how long it take for it to return to normal if it takes more than a bounce or two then its probably bad.

How many miles do you have? and just for my curiosity why where you trying to see if the 2003 would fit a 2006?

Hopefully that helps

Hi Rcflyer330

I have 290,000 on my explorer. I don’t know if the struts been changed or not. I have a 2003 Explorer also I been working on. When I bought the 03 it came with a new pair of rear struts. I have to replace the rear upper ball joints and the rear wheel bearings.

Thank you

I but on UNITY quick struts and they are great, inexpensive and easy to install.
Recommend

The 3rd generation explorers have a different design when it comes to rear suspension. That's probably why the struts might be a little different.
I replaced all 4 on mine at 275k miles with quick struts from Monroe but honestly, did not notice much difference.

Hi Guys
I bought new struts for my 06 explorer. This afternoon I will start installing them. I have the 2 inch strut spacers I am thinking about installing also. What is your guys opinion on spacers?

Thank you

Maybe ask the "modified" explorers forum?

Hi Guys

I got my struts on. I still have the floating feeling with the explorer. I also replaced the sway bar bushings. My back tires the inter side of both tires are wore out. I just got couple months ago. Can the back tires be out of alignment? I don’t know if there was any adjustments on the rear.

Thanks

Hi Guys

I got my struts on. I still have the floating feeling with the explorer. I also replaced the sway bar bushings. My back tires the inter side of both tires are wore out. I just got couple months ago. Can the back tires be out of alignment? I don’t know if there was any adjustments on the rear.

Thanks

Yes the rear can get out of alignment and can be adjusted. Had the same thing happen but not on new tires they where a 3 or 4 years old. They did however not have many miles on them due to switching over to snow tires in the winter so I was kinda annoyed.

Hi
I been thinking I replaced the back wheel bearings about 5 months ago and that is when it started to feel like the explorer will roll over on a curve.

Thanks

You need an alignment. It will also help with the feel of the ride. The camber is off. ;)

If you're going to have an alignment done, may as well plan on replacing worn parts on the front unless you already have. If the back struts were replaced due to wear, then the fronts will be bad too, most likely.

Back