Struts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Struts

bigdude2468

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XT
Planning on replacing the front struts on our 2014 AWD, 85,000 miles. Rock Auto has quick struts, both Monroe and Gabriel + what I assume are imports. I have read some bad reviews about quick struts changing the ride height and also giving a harsher ride. Anyone have any personal experience with either Monroe or Gabriel?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Planning on replacing the front struts on our 2014 AWD, 85,000 miles. Rock Auto has quick struts, both Monroe and Gabriel + what I assume are imports. I have read some bad reviews about quick struts changing the ride height and also giving a harsher ride. Anyone have any personal experience with either Monroe or Gabriel?
Motorcraft or Bilstein, others are junk. Get new mounts. Don't mess with the all in one.

I had Monroe Quick Struts on my wife’s Flex a few years ago. Made horrible noises and the mounts were not right from day one. Ended up taking them out and replaced with Motorcraft struts and mounts. No issues after that, but lost out on cash and numerous hours spent in my garage.

Motorcraft will have a fully loaded strut available soon if you can wait. Otherwise buy the individual Motorcraft parts and assemble it. I dont recommend the Chinese stuff, it’s generally poor quality and the ride isnt as nice.

Motorcraft will have a fully loaded strut available soon if you can wait. Otherwise buy the individual Motorcraft parts and assemble it. I dont recommend the Chinese stuff, it’s generally poor quality and the ride isnt as nice.
Any idea when these will be available?

New here. I have a 2019 Explorer XLT, 3.5l, sport and tow pkg.

I've been looking around at strut replacement and not finding that many options. Curious if anything has changed in this world besides Bilstein and Motorcraft, any recommendations outside of that?

Thank you for any input. I know I'm resurrecting and old thread, but figured better than making a new one. :dunno:

New here. I have a 2019 Explorer XLT, 3.5l, sport and tow pkg.

I've been looking around at strut replacement and not finding that many options. Curious if anything has changed in this world besides Bilstein and Motorcraft, any recommendations outside of that?

Thank you for any input. I know I'm resurrecting and old thread, but figured better than making a new one. :dunno:
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Are the current struts no longer good? Do you have any idea if the vehicle was actually used for towing? That would reduce the lifetime of the struts. With just 52k miles on it, the struts normally should still be in reasonably good condition and last another 20k.
It seems in reading the above posts, the 2 brands you mentioned were the recommended ones. Going aftermarket isn't always the best way to go although I've read several posts where members were very happy with Bilstein products

Peter.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Are the current struts no longer good? Do you have any idea if the vehicle was actually used for towing? That would reduce the lifetime of the struts. With just 52k miles on it, the struts normally should still be in reasonably good condition and last another 20k.
It seems in reading the above posts, the 2 brands you mentioned were the recommended ones. Going aftermarket isn't always the best way to go although I've read several posts where members were very happy with Bilstein products

Peter.
Thanks!

I'm not sure on prior usage, but I believe it was a fleet vehicle, so I doubt it was used for towing. I've noticed a bounce type feeling on hard braking. I was planning to do powerstop brakes all around (had them on my F150 and liked them alot) and suspension. I will be using for light towing (pop up camper) for about 4-6 months out of the year, but nothing too far either. Trailer weight is around 2300#.

edit: I'll add that in typical driving situations, I don't really notice anything. It tracks straight and handles really well.

I usually need new struts and shocks every 50K mi or so, because it's all hills and curves here.

To get it ready for towing I'd start with just replacing the rear shocks, and then still Motorcraft or Bilstein, because KYB doesn't make monotubes for this application yet. Not that KYB is necessarily better than Bilstein, but they usually cost about 30% less and are usually "good enough" for road use.

Back