Stryctny9e's 1993 XLT | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stryctny9e's 1993 XLT

Hey guys, thoght I would make a registry for my explorer. I bought my EX for $1800 about a year ago with 132,000 miles on it. Strong motor, she ran smooth, and a bunch of little issues. That is when I was searching to resolve them and found this site. It all started with the drivers side door sag, which was quickly taken care of thanks to DeRocha's how to thread. Then there was some missing interior parts like a few light covers, rear vanity cover and a broken arm rest. I dragged my girlfriend with me to the junkyard in the rain (her first time to a junk yard) and ended up finding everything I needed. I also changed most fluids, oil, transmission/filter, radiator, lubed suspension. Didn't plan on doing much with the explorer until I found all the cool things I could do on this site. I also got tired of my truck looking like the other million explorer roaming around my town.

I like to hunt and go out shooting on a regular basis so I got a chance to fool around with the 4wd quickly. I found that the 4x4 high worked but the 4x4 low range was inoperable. SO it was back to the forum to do some searching and that led me to pull off the electric shift motor and clean it. As I suspected the plastic stopper was broken, replaced it and the low range worked right off the bat.

I quickly found that my Exploder lacked ground clearence(whoops thread-learning the hard way) and want to do a lift and some bigger tires. The day after that incident I recived my warrior shackles in the mail and installed them. I also installed new wheel bearings, painted I beam and brake calibers, and rear drums, also painted the spindles. I also just got done painting Bpillars and the rear pillars. They were all faded and I wanted them to match my truck since it is a two tone.Also painted wiper arms and plan on doing door/hatch handle soon.

The body and paint were in good condition there was only a dent in the passenger side fender and minimal rust. Mainly the rust is on the roof in the rain channles. There is a new dent in the hatch, a friend of mine bought a boat and asked me to tow it for him, I said yes. The guy he bought it from loaded it on my hitch, I did not check it myself thinking he is a boat owner and fully capable of doing it right, wrong. Three blocks down the road I was rear ended by a boat. I was pissed at the time and he offered to by me a new hatch but I don't want a missmatched truch and have yet to find the same color scheme at the junkyard. I got over it and about a month later some Jacko decides he don't want taco bell any more and backs out of the drive thru. Meanwhile I am backing out of my parking spot. I am honking my horn and apperently he was def because his toyota tacoma backed into the drivers side of my rear wheel well resulting in a softball size dent. I held back my temper and said a few kind words to him and went on my way before the scene escalated.

My plans for the future are a new/used motor after my wheelin incident(think I have rod knock)but she is still running. A coil spacer/add-a-leaf lift. New rims and tires. Probably some cragar's and 32's x 11.50. Possible body lift for even bigger tires but onle after I do some re-gearing. New lights, my light quality sucks and would like to upgrade for a newer look.Oh yea I am going to rhino line the roof of the EX to get rid of that rust and add a uniquie look. Manual hubs, and a flow master exhaust that will happen sooner than later, because I have a fist size hole in the muffler, caused from when I had to pull the truck out of the mud hole. I will also be doing ball joints/ u-joints, tie-rod ends and bushings when I do the lift.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to do all the how to write ups and posted all the good advise and knowlege to the site. I will be doing my part soon.

What you have all been waiting for THE PICS

Attachments

• IMG_3555.jpg
    IMG_3555.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 1,318
  • IMG_3556.JPG
    IMG_3556.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 1,289
  • IMG_3557.JPG
    IMG_3557.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 1,296
  • IMG_3558.JPG
    IMG_3558.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 1,305

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rotor and Calipers

I installed my new roters and calipers today and it came out nice. The wheels now spin freely and dont get caught on the calipers, man they actually let go of the pads now. I can tell the diffrence when the vehical coast it is alot smoother and coast longer. Shout out to Palmer7 for coming over and helping me bleed the brakes. The pedal felt a little mushy at first but then I drove over to the parts store and they were all good. Here are some pics.

That rotor is missing more teeth than a hillbilly, maybe that will help fix my ABS problem, and that caliper is wicked ugly man, the seals are shot to ****.

Attachments

• IMG_3642.JPG
    IMG_3642.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_3641.JPG
    IMG_3641.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_3640.JPG
    IMG_3640.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_3639.JPG
    IMG_3639.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 402

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Loose door handle

I fixed my passenger side door handle today. It was way loose and seemed like you would have to pull up hella far to get it open. I dont ride in my passenger seat often but when I would open it while working/cleaning the truck it would drive me nuts.

Thanks to the guys who posted this and asked the question, I would never remember to check it out otherwise. Just glad I got it fixed.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=318606

Black Deerhooves

Well I got bored today so I decided to paint my stock Deerhoove rims black. I was also tired of my truck looking like all the other 2 milloin stock explorers in town with the deerhoove rims. I used the standard 1 1/2 in blue painters tape to tape around the rim. Then I got A peice of cardboard and cut out a hole for my rim. Then the over spray would not get all over my rubber. I cleaned the rims then sanded them with 400 grit paper. Then last but not least I wiped them down with xylene to get them nice and clean and wiped them down with the palm of my hand. If you use the palms of your hand you can feel any little bits of dirt still on the rim. Then I painted and here is the results.

I am quite satisfied and really happy with the outcome, almost a whole new look for the truck. Hope it influences the people that dont like stock rims to take the time and paint them any color you want. Total it took me about 3 1/2 hours start to finish.

Enjoy:monkey: I just wanted to use the monkey

Attachments

• IMG_3647.JPG
    IMG_3647.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_3650.JPG
    IMG_3650.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_3652.JPG
    IMG_3652.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_3653.JPG
    IMG_3653.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 365

Also painted drums

I had some left over silver caliper paint so while I was painting the rims I decided to paint the drums. I think the silver drums and calipers look nice behind the black rims.

Here are more pics

Attachments

• IMG_3651.JPG
    IMG_3651.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_3654.JPG
    IMG_3654.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_3655.JPG
    IMG_3655.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 376

What gauges

Yo explorer peoples I need some help. I got paid today and was looking on E bay the other night and found these cheap gauges. I think they look cool and they are not a expensive upgrade. I also like the new modern look. I like the way #1 looks because the lettering and numbers dont look like stock but at the same time I like #2 because they do look like stock and are very simple. Kinda stuck and I would like to order them sooner than later. I also have another job interview on monday and so far it looks promising.

Please help me out fellow explorer nuts:confused:

#1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-9...|Make:Ford|Model:Explorer&hash=item563e0b398e

#2 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-9...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb54db77f

I'm a blue man, so I'm partial to the first one. They both look pretty damn cool tho'.

I like #1 just a little bit better with the blue, my deck is blue. The first one also has that green to blue switch so it will kind of match stock till I can change all other button/indicator colors.

Thanks for the imput lynchy. Any more opinions anyone?

Got The Job

Well I passed the piss test and passed the back round check and start work on monday morning. Damn I am stoaked and cant wait for steady income. I am going to have those tires I was waiting fon in no time. Lots of projects coming up, thats for damn sure! Its kinda wierd how I got this job doing blanchard machining, I did blanchard machining when I was 20 and got out of it because CNC is making it obsolete, now somehow it found me again and it is back to machining, welding, and electrical.

This is where I will be working and what I will be building.

http://www.ssiworld.com/

Chech out the watch it shread, really really cool destructive ****!!!

Bloody fantastic news mate. Thats a kick arse shredder and seeing that tyre get bounced around then sucked in, I couldnt help thinking "F***, I wouldnt want to fall in there!" Congrats again!

Thanks man, I got a call this morning and they want me to start on monday. Passed the piss test and passed the back round check, they want me to work swing shift and gave me a extra 1$, I said hell yea. I am a creature of the night anyways and i worked swing shift for 2 1/2 years previously so it will be no sweat. I cant wait to start so I can buy some more cool stuff for the EX and get my motorcycle going and 100% fixed up by the end of the summer.

Sweet! Is swing shift like the graveyard (11pm-7am) or an afternoon shift (3pm-11pm) sort of time?

swing is in between day shift and graveyard, So far they told me to show up at 3:30pm and get off at 2:30 am. They also told me I will more than likley get alot of overtime and possibly be working 40-60 hours a week. I am all about it and my starting pay is $14.00 a hour plus the 50 cents for swing pay. So $14.50 a hour with overtime pay doesnt sound very bad at all. I will be back with a steady income in a couple weeks. I went out and got some new steel toe boots and work clothes. Also picked up a new tool bag and getting everything ready for monday. I am definetly trying to impress this company, because the position is temp to hire, but they said there is a strong chance for full time employment, since buisness is booming for them right now and blanchard machining is not very popular. Not many people know how to run these machines so I have a bit of a edge. I will be there to impress and show I am a hard and dedicated worker. Hoping for the best and going to show them I have the skills and ability to get the job done right and efficiently.

Good stuff, I reckon they'll be stoked to have someone that has your enthusiasm for the job!!!

Tanks Lynch

Thanks lynchy, I got to say your enthusiasm and good attitude on this site are much appreciated. Also your positive feedback is awsome. Keep it up lynchy.:):thumbsup:

New Job Update

Well the job is awsome and I am loveng it. I am supposed to be training for a week but the guy who is training me could tell I know my **** and threw me on a machine the first day.He was very impressed with my knowledge and my work quality. He is a real cool dude, swing shift is really laid back and I like the less busyness of swing. Less people and no shipping and reciving traffic. All the dudes are cool and my parter that is training me is putting in a real good word for me.

I oredered Gauge set #1 and probably gonna do a transmission cooler add on this weekend. I am also looking for those tires I want, probably gonna get some used tires, because the tires will be going on stock rims. Cragars are alot cheaper than new tires, so I will get new rims with the proper offset in the near future, after used tires, then next year I will get brand new tires.

Hope all is well with everyone else on the site and I will post some pics and a update this weekend. Hopefully.

Well that's good news sounds like all is working out well for ya.

Well they reckon a job that you love stops being a job. One of the best things about the swing shift would have to be lack of pen pushers. Just blokes working hard with none of that political crap that goes on between 9-5. Glad your digging the new place mate and I see the mod's are starting to trickle!!!

I found a brush gaurd for $35 off a 90's ranger a while back, a older dude had it and it was about 2 months ago when I called. I will give him another call next week and see if he still has is, I suspect he does because he posted it on a small local for sale site. If he still has it I will pick it up next week.

Also found out I do not get as much overtime as I thought, the shop works four 10 hour days and we always get 3 day weekends, unless we are swamped then overtime. That is cool with me because I will have a full 3 days to work on truck and go out and play.

Thanks for all the support my friends. Have a great day, off to work!

**** I have not been getting any updates on my phone! First off glad the new rotors and calipers worked out! 2nd sweet wheels man I'm impressed I wouldn't mind doing that to mine right now if you wouldn't mind showing me haha I'm not great at painting anything. 3rd deff the #1 gauges the blue looks good. 4th congrats on the job! glad that's going to work out hopefully we can get some wheeling time in soon also! I'll be back in town on the 27th!

I like how the wheels turned out! Much better imo
I also like the idea of the cardboard mask too:thumbsup:

Back