STS Turbo 01 Explorer sport vs v8 S10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

STS Turbo 01 Explorer sport vs v8 S10

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice video ur sport sound bad ass

that shi*ts ballin

That's great, lots of fun.

Yes, fun indeed. If I wouldn't of red lighted, I could have called this one a kill.

man i wish my sport sounded like urs but i dont got a sts turbo on mine

Yes, I was expecting to get murdered when I heard the way his trucked loped. My bud said I was steady pulling from him so I was happy about beating a truck like that. It's moments like this that makes me feel as if I haven't wasted any money. ;)

Great job!!! I bet that S10 was like WTF???? Always nice to drive to the track, kick some ass and then drive home:)

Get that meth injection going(not the drug) and try launching higher. You need to find out how high you can stall before you brake the tires loose. Higher launch+meth=lower times:) Keep it up. You now have a foundation to build from and I can see it already. Slicks, built block, ported heads/intake, 3600 stall and 14 pound of boost w/meth. Viper? What Viper:)

That's nice, but I'm thinking all along, "oh that poor transmission." The trans can take a good beating, only when it's well tuned and taken care of. In stock form the trans is no where near its limit.

Jake, you are near the limit of the trans, just under, but near to it. Keep the trans as your number one priority. Watch it carefully, check it often, baby it and hope and pray. If it begins to do anything wrong, let off the gas and fix it before it burns up. If that truck is a keeper and you want to go faster, I'd be looking for a stronger choice. That's a tall order, and James went one route. I'd see about the possibility of a bell housing adapter for another trans. The 4R70W needs PCM programming, but others don't. You are coming to a cross roads.

Yes, I know. I think I can get it in the 12's the way it is. I know it won't hold it long.

The T-5 was adapted to the 4.0L SOHC in the New Mustangs....

The other option would be a 700-R4

Ryan

Besides Ford parts being my first choice, the 700R4 would do well I think. I'd go by what adapters are available and what would be easier and cheaper to change.

With the little options there are, I think James went the right way. The 5R55S with the right bell housing. The problem I see he's having is the tuning of the tranny. If he can't get it under control and consistent then there's no way I'll be doing this.

I just wish there were options for the 5R55E and I still don't see why this tranny has such a bad rep. I have had NO, ZERO, ZILCH, and NOTTA issues from it. Then again, I don't hot lap and keep beating on it. I make a pass and slow down; same thing on the streets...get on it and slow down. I'm not a formula one driver.

I think I'm going to make some calls and see what I come up with.

I guess what I'm leading too is you can't take a tranny with over 100K on it, turn the boost up to 12LBS of boost, and call it a bad tranny cuss it didn't hold.

Okay, I just called Ptc and they said it's about to gernade. hehe The tech guy is going to call me back and suggest a swap to another tranny.

I hear that, my 5R55E is doing fine also. I've just read and heard about the bad A4LD for years, and avoided the V6 trans. This is a descendant of the A4LD, so it shouldn't be pushed too far. I do hope the PCM tuning will firm it up a good bit, I still would like a more positive feel at shifts.

What fluid are you using BTW? I swapped messages with Amsoil recently, they have a racing version of fluid that is a type F non friction modified fluid. That means that it grips better, or the clutches grip better. The modern fluids all have lots of friction modifiers that are great for normal use, street use, smooth shifting etc. I don't know the details of how fluid changed since prior to these, say 1990. Amsoil suggested not mixing as I was thinking of with my supply of ATF. They said leave it all as their normal ATF, or make it all the racing fluid. They mentioned that it's for upgraded frictions, a trans made to take the harder shifts. Meaning that the racing fluid would hold better, but may be harsh to stock clutches or create chatter. I think I could use it with my high performance parts, but I didn't want to buy an additional 18 quarts plus have the 14 or so of regular ATF as spare.

I may try it some other time, but you might see what options you have for frictions to rebuild a 5R55E with.

I'm using Royal Purple now. Was using mobile one syn.

I learn as I go, I used to love the B&M Trickshift fluid. The fact that it was blue was really nice also. I learned that it couldn't be used in the electronic transmissions sometime along the way. I think that may have been poor advice from who ever, I think it's more about the friction modifiers.

It helps that we have the PCM to make adjustments to shift qualities. That can make things work better like shift kits that you cannot easily go back in and change.

Okay, Monster transmissions said they can only sell me a stock replacement and they don't know how much power it will hold.

I can see what someone went thru doing this now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I learn as I go, I used to love the B&M Trickshift fluid. The fact that it was blue was really nice also. I learned that it couldn't be used in the electronic transmissions sometime along the way. I think that may have been poor advice from who ever, I think it's more about the friction modifiers.

It helps that we have the PCM to make adjustments to shift qualities. That can make things work better like shift kits that you cannot easily go back in and change.

Royal purple is okay, right?

Back