Solved - Stuck again, key wont turn ignition. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Stuck again, key wont turn ignition.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Dano!

Reaction score
City, State
Lemoore CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Navajo X 2
SLB is mad I parked her on the street.

I drove home from work Friday morning and parked her on the street because there was no room in the driveway. I tried to fire her up today and the key wont even turn the ignition at all. It's like someone swapped the ignition out as a joke.

Initially the steering wheel was not locked. But while trying to get the key to go it became locked. I don't have any anti-theft device installed, unless there is one from the factory I don't know about.

I tried popping the parking break, putting it in gear. Shaking the steering wheel while trying to turn the key.

I lubed up the ignition with graphite lube, I tried hitting it with a mallet while turning the key, I tried forcing the key with pliers, I tried using the spare key, yelling, bargaining, pulling the battery cable, fuses, doing the jingle..

The wheels are not under stress or pushed against anything. I rolled the truck back and forth while trying to turn the key. Still nothing.

I dropped the steering column to check the rod that connects to the ignition and tried to push, pull while turning the key, I let my wife try...

I'm stumped.

This is a newish ignition as I installed it not too long ago. And all I want to do is get the key tuned enough so I can pull the ignition out and replace it.

I am at the point where I'm going to start drilling. But I figured before I do that I would pull on the collective knowledge of this forum. Any ideas welcome.

The chime starts beeping with the key in the ignition too if that helps.

-Dano

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only thing I can think of would be a broken tumbler in the ignition lock.

For some reason I did not get an email notification of this, forgive me for being late.

You said you tried putting it in gear.

Did you try neutral or just lifting it up towards park?

On my 00 Mountie the screws holding the shift lever loosened to the point where I had to put it into neutral to get it to start.

If you can't get it to work you will have to break the plastic off the cylinder and drill a 3/8 (?) hole in the center until the cylinder becomes free.

MT

I pretty much had to drill it out. The ignition was only in there for a year. So that was a disappointment.
I got a new ignition but I ran out of time before I had to go to work. So I will install it tomorrow.
I am wondering if the electrical contacts that the ignition comes into contact with on the steering wheel side are wearing out. Either way thank y'all for trying, I just don't know what happened that time.

-Dano

I just fixed my friends 2014 by informing him the steering lock requires the wheel to be turned either to the left or to the right to allow the key to turn - it may take some force to turn the key if you already used force to attempt without moving the steering wheel to temporarily unlock it. In his case turning the wheel the direction without resistance and hokding it there whike turning the key allowed the vehicle to start.

SLB is mad I parked her on the street.

I drove home from work Friday morning and parked her on the street because there was no room in the driveway. I tried to fire her up today and the key wont even turn the ignition at all. It's like someone swapped the ignition out as a joke.

Initially the steering wheel was not locked. But while trying to get the key to go it became locked. I don't have any anti-theft device installed, unless there is one from the factory I don't know about.

I tried popping the parking break, putting it in gear. Shaking the steering wheel while trying to turn the key.

I lubed up the ignition with graphite lube, I tried hitting it with a mallet while turning the key, I tried forcing the key with pliers, I tried using the spare key, yelling, bargaining, pulling the battery cable, fuses, doing the jingle..

The wheels are not under stress or pushed against anything. I rolled the truck back and forth while trying to turn the key. Still nothing.

I dropped the steering column to check the rod that connects to the ignition and tried to push, pull while turning the key, I let my wife try...

I'm stumped.

This is a newish ignition as I installed it not too long ago. And all I want to do is get the key tuned enough so I can pull the ignition out and replace it.

I am at the point where I'm going to start drilling. But I figured before I do that I would pull on the collective knowledge of this forum. Any ideas welcome.

The chime starts beeping with the key in the ignition too if that helps.

-Dano

Back