• Register Today It's free!

Stuck ball joint

dons12

Reaction score
City, State
Hedgesville WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Mazada Navaho
I have 94 Navajo. I am trying to get the lower ball joint out. Everything on it is pretty much rusted together. I broke the lower ball joint off flush trying to remove the nut on it. Right now I am pounding the crap out of it using a punch and can not get the ball joint out.Been soaking it with pb last 4 days.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used a harbor freight ball joint c-tool/press and my harbor freight electric impact gun. You can probably rent the tool at Schucks or Autozone for around a $100, you get the money back when you return the tool.

Head over to autozone,checkers,kragens,orielies etc.. and borrow/rent the ball joint press. It looks like a big c-clamp.

I tried to knock out our ball joints with a 3lbs sledge and it wouldn't come out. And this is an AZ vehicle (no rust). I used the ball joint press thing and it popped right out..

~Mark

The problem is that I can't get the knuckle off because of the lower ball joint I am beating on the ball joint with a 2lb sledge and a punch trying to get it free. The upper is free.

Got you Don, penetrating oil and persistince. Careful to not beat the head out to where you can't get it through the hole. I'd get a solid nut on there and beat on that if I were you if you're going to beat on the shaft. Get a larger hammer if you have to, seems like 2lbs is pretty small. Lots of beer and some anger can help, course stuff starts breaking to : )

Already broke my ABS sensor. Can't get my big sledge hammer in there.

Are you hitting the remains of the balljoint from the top of the lower knuckle or from the bottom?

You DID already remove the c-clip, right?

Finally got the knuckle off. The lower ball joint stayed on the car. Got a ball joint splitter to get it off. My son came over for father's day and we had a good ole time beating it with sledge hammer.

Back