• Register Today It's free!

Stuck front window glass

MindExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello,

The motor for the power window still operates properly. What I found when I took the door apart is that the power window assembly has pulled away from the window glass. The window glass is in the full up position and I cannot budge the glass. Any suggestions on shifting the window?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello,

The motor for the power window still operates properly. What I found when I took the door apart is that the power window assembly has pulled away from the window glass. The window glass is in the full up position and I cannot budge the glass. Any suggestions on shifting the window?

My sport trac did something similar.

It's possible the window got stuck out of it's track as well as out of the u-channels of the power window or got ****-eyed and stuck....you may have to forcefully pull it down from inside the panel which you should do with some assistance so you don't free up the window and drop it because someone couldn't hold it after you broke it free.

When you get it free. Toss a rag or some newspaper over the top of the door frame and duct tape the window in the up position (check the window tracking first, mine was slightly bent from the torque of the window opening.

Try to clean out your u-channel if you can and then reapply some new adhesive silicone (marine, rv, or automotive) and actuate the window motor up and get the u-channels to slip on the window.

If that works, don't touch the window for atleast a day depending on the temps in your area.

Again, I'm speculating the window is stuck in the channel and it needs a little loving to get it unstuck. I only had one side of my window come up but while trying to put the window in the up position I found that the window channel was bent inside/popped out of the track and caused me a headache until I got that part fixed.

Hope this helps!

Follow-up on window glass

That got the window loose. It now slides freely in the channel when pulled or pushed. It won't fall by itself though. Just how freely should the window glass be moving in the tracks?

If I recall, mine did stay someone 'stuck' near the top when I lifted it up by hand but it would drop if I wasn't careful....

But that was after I noticed some of the window track/channel in the door panel kind of buckled on itself. Once I tried to make that channel opening bigger it tended to slide a little better.

If it all looks good and there's nothing bent and the channel (not the power window channel) along the outsides of the window look like their not causing it to stick then maybe just silicone spray the window channels to lube 'em up a bit before you silicone adhesive the window together.

Try to clean out your u-channel if you can and then reapply some new adhesive silicone (marine, rv, or automotive) and actuate the window motor up and get the u-channels to slip on the window.

Silicone won't hold up. Regular silicone uses moisture from the air to cure, and in the wintertime especially, a full cure won't happen for several days, if not weeks.

A 2-part polyurethane adhesive is the recommended solution (and is what was used from the factory). Any decent body shop should have it, but it needs to be a two-part, not an air-cure adhesive. The two-part adhesives contain the hardener, which will fully cure in the allotted time regardless of the environment (so I was told by the Ford engineer that specs out that particular material)

-Joe

Silicone won't hold up. Regular silicone uses moisture from the air to cure, and in the wintertime especially, a full cure won't happen for several days, if not weeks.

A 2-part polyurethane adhesive is the recommended solution (and is what was used from the factory). Any decent body shop should have it, but it needs to be a two-part, not an air-cure adhesive. The two-part adhesives contain the hardener, which will fully cure in the allotted time regardless of the environment (so I was told by the Ford engineer that specs out that particular material)

-Joe

silicone adhesive (auto, RV or marine) is fine...did my winter just before the death of winter and got that from my auto mechanic who said he uses it all the time

i didn't care about cure time, just wanted the window fixed :D ... it was winter and all, no need to use the window....well, except when I paid the parking attendant that is...i just went with what my mechanic suggested and it's been fine, even silicone lubed up the channel to help the window move more freely....

and then I used the silicone lube on my door weatherstripping to keep the frost from freezing my doors!

Back