• Register Today It's free!

Stuck fuel filter 03 xlt

03AZExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
As the title says my fuel filter is stuck on the line. I've tried every tool imaginable multiple time to no avail. In the event it will not come off, can just the quick disconnect be removed and replaced, or does the whole line have to go? And if the whole line has to go, has anyone ever done that? How difficult is it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know its a billion degrees down there but the filter should come off. Somehow your tools are not getting in there to expand the spring. I had the same problem for a while but eventually worked it free. You have been trying too long. Ask a friend to give it a go.

I had somebody try it and say that it felt like one of the spring teeth may be bent. What's the secret for that?

I found most of the tools don't have long enough flanges to release the fuel line springs.
Use a wide flat blade screwdriver or pliers as a lever to compress the tool into the line.
It may also help to flush the fittings thoroughly with penetrant. Use finesse, not force.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198626

Tried it again today for 2 hours, no luck. I'm about done with this stupid thing. So like I asked, can this quick disconnect be replaced on its own, or does the whole line it's on need replaced?

I AM ON THE SAME BOAT. Tried it myself, and I cant get the fuel lines off

I cut mine off and and went and got the repair kit from autozone, when I got it off and could see down inside one of the pins was damaged, so it was not gonna come off. If the pins arent damaged it should just pop off with the right tool. The new one pops off with zero force, tool slides down in and pops right off.

I cut mine off and and went and got the repair kit from autozone, when I got it off and could see down inside one of the pins was damaged, so it was not gonna come off. If the pins arent damaged it should just pop off with the right tool. The new one pops off with zero force, tool slides down in and pops right off.

Please explain this repair kit!

It is a Dorman part dont remember the part number, but I got mine at Autzone, you cut the line off past the connection and then splice in the new line and connector and off you go.

Back