Stuck gas pedal - Scary! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stuck gas pedal - Scary!

srinda

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport
After merging on to a busy street and stepping hard on the gas, my old 92 kept accelerating even though I took my foot off the pedal. I stopped the car, put it in park and the engine was racing (like my heart), so I immediately shut it off. I reached down and pulled up on the pedal but it wouldn't move. Luckily, I was only a block from home so I put the car in neutral and got it off to the side of the road. Something is definitely broken or jammed. Is it time to get a tow or is this something a do it yourselfer can tackle? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the cable where it attaches to the throttle body. See if there are any obstructions jamming it open. If not check the cable or throttle blade for binding.

Check the cable where it attaches to the throttle body. See if there are any obstructions jamming it open. If not check the cable or throttle blade for binding.
I checked the cable, grabbed the end and it released. Nothing was noticeably jamming it, maybe it was the spring which looked a little rusty. I'm going to have my mechanic replace the cable. I don't want that happening again. Thanks. :)

I had an issue like this before. The little red cap on the cruise control cable broke allowing the wire end to pop out. I was at full throttle and the cable caught on the throttle body bracket wedging my pedal at WOT. Would up using a bunch of zipties over the red cap to keep the wire from coming out again.

Can you still get new First Gen throttle cables?

Clean your throttle body as well it can bind up with carbon

I had the opposite problem on my green explorer. The throttle cable would come undone.
going 80 on the hgwy and suddenly running out of steam was kinda scary getting over to the breakdown lane.
was able to replace the cable and everything went fine.
Also lost the trans cable on that truck. I used to have to set the parking brake, then get under the car and move the shift lever by hand. Was only for a couple days until the cable came in but it was a pain in the ass

Back