• Register Today It's free!

stuck in Park

36couper

Reaction score
City, State
ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Adrenaline
I absolutely love my Adrenaline sport trac!
However since yesterday when I pit the shifter into park and then try to move the shifter to reverse or forward, it won't move. I have my foot on the brake as required but the shifter won't move.
I hear a clicking under the dash when I depress the brake pedal but no luck in moving the shifter from park.
Is this an easy fix? Something that a do-it-yourself can fix?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just busted the lock tab off on mine. now you can put it in gear as soon as you pull lock on the handle. If you remove the cup holder there is a tab you push up and jam a screw driver in to manually unlock it when the actuator fails. The procedure is in the owners manual. Originally you needed to replace the whole shifter for around 2 bills, but I think there is a part number for the actuator and the controller now. You will have to do a bit of searching in the gen 4 explorer forums.

I believe the cause is the ignition switch/cylinder. I think there was a recall or TSB about them. Sometimes when I take my key out the car will still chime as though I left the key in the ignition. Then I tap the ignition cylinder with my finger and it stops.

Last night I did the same thing. Broke the lock tab off and it slipped down into the console.
It would easily come out of park but this morning when I tried, it was still locked into Park. Eventually it released and I took it over to my mechanic to repair. Oh, he is also installing new rear wheel bearings.

I just busted the lock tab off on mine. now you can put it in gear as soon as you pull lock on the handle. If you remove the cup holder there is a tab you push up and jam a screw driver in to manually unlock it when the actuator fails. The procedure is in the owners manual. Originally you needed to replace the whole shifter for around 2 bills, but I think there is a part number for the actuator and the controller now. You will have to do a bit of searching in the gen 4 explorer forums.

You busted the wrong tab off. You needed to bust the tab that locks the button from engaging on the shifter, not the one that is connected to the lock out on the shifter. I went after the one on the actuator. The one you flip up in the manual procedure.

Back