• Register Today It's free!

Stuck tire

Jtheulen

Reaction score
City, State
Carroll, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer 4wd
Have an 01 xlt. The passenger rear wheel has some sort of lock on the inside of the tire where the axle nut would be. Do I need to take that off to get tire off? It looks like a lid on top of a 55 gallon drum almost. Thank you in advance for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, should be just the five lug nuts holding the wheel on. If the nuts are off the the wheel and it still won’t come off, it’s probably corrosion holding it. Try a little force from different directions to unstick it.

Does seem like it should be just corrosion. Can you post photo(s)?

Had the same problem on my '96. Removed lug nuts, made sure parking brake was off, sprayed with WD40, hit it with a hammer... I began wiggling it back and forth, side to side and it loosened up. It was dirt, corrosion, maybe a little rust from the center shaft.

Are you talking about the center of the rear axle?

rotor.jpg

No it doesn't come off. Spray with lube. Work the rim side to side. I usually sit on my butt and use my legs to knock the rim loose.

Are you talking about the center of the rear axle?

View attachment 165741
No it doesn't come off. Spray with lube. Work the rim side to side. I usually sit on my butt and use my legs to knock the rim loose.[/QUOTEY

Yes!! Ty I couldn't get the dang thing to move thank you so much

I rotate my "twheels" (tire/wheel combos) frequently enough that none of them ever get stuck on the hub center. Also when I get back home from one of the many tire stores I break each lug nut a loose and re-tighten with the tool that I use on the road to break a loose lug nuts. W-Mart Tire Center nearby recently Installed some Wranglers on my White/Graphite '97 and just yesterday afternoon was unbolting the RR to do a swap and the lug stud threads felt damaged. At the tire store with their Impact wrench rammed the lug nuts on so tight it damaged the threads possibly on the nuts and stud too. I worked the threads when I replaced the lug nuts but still I didn't like the way that they felt when replacing them. Just something to think about while you have your twheel off. You can use a little sandpaper or wire brush on the hub and wheel center to clean it up a bit while it is apart.
:burnout:

When a tire gets stuck like this on the hub, you need to hit the actual tire itself in a few places with a dead blow or baseball bat
The vibrations from this will allow the wheel to come off
This happens alot with the full size trucks because the wheels are hub centric not lug centric (the hub is what centers the wheel) so basically its a snug fit and corrosion will hold the wheel in place

I fought and fought the wheels on my old superduty until I was given a tire beater stick from a friend who used to work at a tire shop...basically a billy club or small bat is what they use at tire shops, so it is what I use too

I had this happen on a 2000 Mountaineer rear wheel. The stub on the axle is a close fit into the back of the wheel. With some rust on the axle stub and some corrosion in the hole in the wheel the wheel can get stuck. I got mine loose by hitting the back of the wheel using a piece of wood and a BFH.

After its off, clean the axle stub and the hole in the center of the wheel with some sand paper.

and after the sand paper some anti seize or wheel bearing grease on the hub really helps for next time

One thing you can do if you are conservative about it, is spray some penetrant on the hub-wheel junction, put the lug nuts on again but loosen them about 4 turns from tight, then drive the vehicle forward and backward a few times, a few feet slowly.

I just sit on the ground and kick the tire at the bottom it will come right off

Back