Stuck

joepig

Reaction score
City, State
flushing,mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 explorer
Can someone tell me where my 4wd module is located 01 Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On the system you have the switch, a relay, and the electric motor that does the actual engagement of the transfer case.. (might be something I am missing, but the main failures of the system happen in these areas)..

On the system you have the switch, a relay, and the electric motor that does the actual engagement of the transfer case.. (might be something I am missing, but the main failures of the system happen in these areas)..
My 4wd lights blink 6 times then repeat no 4 wheel though

the module is on the left side behind the cover behind back seat.
roscoe

Keep in mind that the module is less likely (and more expensive to replace unless you get a junkyard pull) than other causes like failure of a transfer case or ABS speed sensor, or shift motor position sensor.

Forscan app and an OBDII dongle might be able to see some of those sensors.

My 4wd lights blink 6 times then repeat no 4 wheel though

More elaboration might help. Are you stating that you are trying to put it in 4High and it won't engage? If so is that the only time the lights are flashing? Are you trying to put it in 4Low and that's when they flash?

Were you doing neither and the light started flashing just driving around in 4Auto, and then just as a test you tried to engage 4High and found it didn't work?

Keep in mind that the module is less likely (and more expensive to replace unless you get a junkyard pull) than other causes like failure of a transfer case or ABS speed sensor, or shift motor position sensor.

Forscan app and an OBDII dongle might be able to see some of those sensors.

More elaboration might help. Are you stating that you are trying to put it in 4High and it won't engage? If so is that the only time the lights are flashing? Are you trying to put it in 4Low and that's when they flash?

Were you doing neither and the light started flashing just driving around in 4Auto, and then just as a test you tried to engage 4High and found it didn't work?
They flash 6 times then stop for about 5min then flash again just driving around when you turn switch on dash nothing happens

^ Should be in the center of the dash behind the radio, or behind glovebox on the left side, or "maybe" up through the driver's footwell right side... in that general dash vicinity of ~ 1.5 square feet.

Back