Stuff to do in Grand Canyon Area | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Stuff to do in Grand Canyon Area

Ken Cooke

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Rubicon - Tomb Raider
Suzanne and I will be traveling to the Grand Canyon National Park for our honeymoon in 3 weeks. As a regular to places such as Joshua Tree and Death Valley, I am aware that there are some awesome places in those parks to travel. What would any of you on this board recommend in terms of places to 'wheel and explore? We will spend 1 (maybe 2) days in the park, and then look for more places to roam. I read the awesome article in 4wheeldrive&sportutility written by the late Dr. Jack Lobdell and Rick Horwitz. Places like these that were spotlighted in this article are the kinds of places I want to visit.

<

Peter Weber

Reaction score
City, State
Simi Valley, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
Ken

First, congratulations on your upcoming nuptials. I was looking forward to meet you at the Joshua Tree outing, but unfortunately couldn't make it.

I've been to the Grand Canyon a couple of times. No 'wheeling though, just the typical tourist thing.

To get there, I would suggest you take old Route 66 just outside of Kingman, stop at Oatman (if it's not called Oatman, it's Oat-something). This is an old mining town, Rick was just there. Great scenery and some old opal mines. Then go north on 18 to the Havasupai indian reservation. There is a trail down to the Grand Canyon with a waterfall coming out of a side canyon. I don't think they let you drive down on your own. I went down by mule, for which you have to pay along with a guide. I believe you can even camp down there.

At the Grand Canyon itself, you can cover everything in one day if you just stop at all the different viewpoints. You might have to take a bus these days. No more private vehicles. You can hike down Bright Angel Trail into the canyon. One day to Plateau Point on foot or by mule. If you hike all the way down, you can camp overnight at the bottom (Phantom Ranch). It's a h*ll of a long trip in one day on foot.

I personally like the North Rim better (a whole lot less people), but it's a long way around and services don't open until Memorial Day. the road might even still be closed.

Another thing you might find interesting is go up to Page and go thru the slot canyons (upper or lower Antelope). I stopped there last year on my way back from Moab. Here's a little sample of what it's like.

View

I'm sure you will get more suggestions. I just thought I'll give you a few of mine. Hope they help you and Suzanne to have a great honeymoon.

<

tdavis

Linux Guru, Jack of All Trades
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pinole, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F250/XLT Superduty
Callsign
KG6MAX
I'm considering going to GC in June, and hiking down again (did Bright Angel last time). Tip - you can't camp in the canyon, without a permit. Permits take time to get.

There is no real wheeling in GC itself, esp. on the south side. Checkout Dead Link Removed

I did notice some dirt-roads on the north side, so I'll probably go that way, and ignore the south side this time.

<

Paul Gagnon

Poseur SUV
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sherwood Park, Alberta eh?
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
Go check out the Painted Desert/Petrified Forest and Canyon de Chelly. Some very cool stuff to see there.

<