Staff member
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Charlestown, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Escape SE
Here it is: Are the dome lights supposed to come on when you open the liftgate glass only? My nephew's 98 dome lights come on when just the glass is opened. Just wondering. Thanks for looking in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, that's a pretty stupid question.

KIDDING! :D Mine comes on when you open the liftgate, liftgate glass only, and doors. It was the same on my '03 4-door...

Watch the '02's be different and then I look stupid...

...well I look stupid all the time

DSCF4125.jpg

Yeah, that's a pretty stupid question.

KIDDING! :D Mine comes on when you open the liftgate, liftgate glass only, and doors. It was the same on my '03 4-door...

Watch the '02's be different and then I look stupid...

...well I look stupid all the time

DSCF4125.jpg

While I can't argue about you being stupid :p:, I have looked everywhere for a switch, button, anything and found nothing. I'm gonna say no dome lights with the glass only (pretty stupid) unless someone confirms that an '02 should have them.

The hatch glass on my wife's '02 and my '98 both turn the light on

Tom

I think the door ajar switch for the hatch and glass are integrated into their respective latches. Might do some good to spray the one in question with a shot of WD40. Here's a related thread: Link

The hatch glass on my wife's '02 and my '98 both turn the light on

Tom

I think the door ajar switch for the hatch and glass are integrated into their respective latches. Might do some good to spray the one in question with a shot of WD40. Here's a related thread: Link

Damn, I gotta find this now. I though it was kind of stupid not to have the dome lights come on with the glass open. I'll check out that link and keep you posted. Thanks.

02 4x4 XLT 3 row seating The lights do come on when the glass is open, just like the door ajar and the puddle lights. I use the remote all of the time and the lights allways come on. Hope this helps.

02 4x4 XLT 3 row seating The lights do come on when the glass is open, just like the door ajar and the puddle lights. I use the remote all of the time and the lights allways come on. Hope this helps.

Exactly what I have. I just thought it was an oversight by the Ford design team. Now this is really bothering me. I tried spraying the latch with no luck. Now I'm going on the hunt. Wish me luck!

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Good luck!

My dome lights come on when they want to. Not sure if there was a setting or not, but sometimes they come on & sometimes they dont.

My dome lights come on when they want to. Not sure if there was a setting or not, but sometimes they come on & sometimes they dont.

You mean when you open the glass only? Maybe your switch is failing. I'll be sure to pass on any knowledge gained.

Not sure about the glass opening but any door open or when I unlock with the remote...sometimes the light comes on, sometimes not.

Not sure about the glass opening but any door open or when I unlock with the remote...sometimes the light comes on, sometimes not.

That aint right!

OK, I haven't done anything yet to fix this issue, but I have done some more research. According to www.fordpartsgiant.com the switch for the rear liftgate glass is the one pointed out by the red arrow.

14018C, Switch Assy - Alarm - Anti-Theft/Ajar, For Window Latch.

SwitchesCustom.png

I have looked everywhere with the glass open and can't find anywhere that this switch might be. It seems that everyone is right about it being in the latch itself. Even the description states: For Window Latch

I have checked the wiring diagrams in my Haynes Manual and can't find this switch. I was wondering if anyone had the wiring diagram that shows this switch and it's location. ncranchero, are you reading this? ;)

Thanks for all the help I have gotten over the last year. You guys are the best. :biggthump

BTT. :wavey:
Posted via Mobile Device

Is there anybody out there? :dunno:

UPDATE: Got it fixed. Took out the switch and it was stuck in the off position. Cleaned it up real good and lubed it and it is now working like a charm. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rondo if we keep it up we might have "NEW" ex's again if we keep on fixing and replacing everything.

Back