• Register Today It's free!

Stupid Previous Owner Trick #2

mhardig

Reaction score
City, State
Northwest Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt 99 ltd
In the process of trying to replace the green and purple power lead for the radio, I discovered one of those "remote start" devices crudely installed up under the dashboard. Anyone ever remove one of these? Can it be done without harming the patient?

Idiots. If you're too damned lazy to go out and start your own car and let it warm up, that's one thing, but don't let highschool dropouts install the thing. Sheesh.

Speaking of the radio power lead, it goes from the radio behind the very back of the dashboard over to the fuse block. It almost looks like it would be accessible from that black panel on the top of the dash. Anyone ever have that out? That's where the smoke was coming from when the wire got hot.

thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might I suggest not calling people idiots and lazy. Especially if those are the same people you are asking help from. I love my remote start.

Loved mine too, well up until someone tried to steal it.. I installed and removed mine when I was in high school.. but since I'm an idiot I guess I can't help you.

If I'm understanding you right, I suggest starting out by pulling out your fuse block and the defrost panel to see how it's really wired up. Yes you can remove and re-solder any wire that were 'tapped' into without harming the truck's electrical systems. Take a picture of how it's wired up in there, I can probably help you get it out.

People who know me personally know that
1: When I want to call someone an idiot, they know it, perfectly well. Since neither of you are, in fact, the previous owners of this vehicle, logic dictates that I did not direct this characterization at you. At that moment, should you take offense at my characterization of someone other than yourself, it's not my issue, but yours.
2: When I ask for help from someone, I am unfailinly polite and grateful, assuming that person is not an ass. But then, I rarely ask for help from *****.

Brandon: I will take and post pictures of the 'installation" though referring to this clusterf**k as an "Installation" stretches the bounds of credulity. When I can find the actual device in the tangle of wires and fuses I will see if I can find a manufacturer's name, perhaps that will help. Thank you for your kind reply. I have no reason to suspect you are an idiot, nor that you would let a high school dropout install anything on your vehicle.

Idiots. If you're too damned lazy to go out and start your own car and let it warm up, that's one thing.

This statement seems to imply that anyone using a remote start is lazy.
Most use it so they can get in their toasty X when its freezing out, not laziness.

"This statement seems to imply that anyone using a remote start is lazy."

No, this statement clearly states my opinion of people who do not start their cars. I think they're lazy. there is no implication, the statement should be crystal clear. If that's not clear, I apologize. I don't care if you do it, because I think it's your right to be as lazy as your checkbook allows, and I support everyone's God-given right to be lazy.

If lazy were the very worst thing anyone ever called me, I'd be in fat city. I had no idea people would get so butthurt over it.

The X has 399,067 miles as of this afternoon.
odom.JPG

I was just being polite. Your statement is clear...

Good, I hate being misunderstood.

Sorry the picture of the odometer didn't come through, I'll have to find some place to host pics.

Back