Stupid Question: Dual HID kits in one housing..Can it be done? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stupid Question: Dual HID kits in one housing..Can it be done?

Ok so I've already installed a set of diamond clear headlights and single beam 50w HIDs but I was wondering if I could drill a hole in the side of the housing and add another HID bulb to use as a highbeam. Or drill two holes opposite each other and add some 150W H3 bulbs? Is it possible and would it add a significant amount of usable light? Let me know what you think as I plan on doing this soon.:thumbsup: :thumbdwn:
Thanks, 91

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can actually buy bi-xenon HIDs, thats a halogen high beam and a HID lowbeam which costs a little more and doesnt really add a significant amount of light so most people just get regular HIDs and completely forget about having a high-beam. The problem with getting HIDs for highbeams is that the constant turning on/off of them wears out the ballasts and causes them to break and ****.

You can actually buy bi-xenon HIDs, thats a halogen high beam and a HID lowbeam which costs a little more and doesnt really add a significant amount of light so most people just get regular HIDs and completely forget about having a high-beam. The problem with getting HIDs for highbeams is that the constant turning on/off of them wears out the ballasts and causes them to break and ****.

Yea thats why I decided to pass on the bixenon kits but isnt there another kit that moves the bulb or something to produce a high beam effect?

I figured the constant short off and on cycles werent good for HIDs but what about the regular h3 bulbs?

I would be concerned about the heat that would be produced and the possibility of melting the housing. Why not just get a set of driving or off road lights and put them on somewhere?

Yea thats why I decided to pass on the bixenon kits but isnt there another kit that moves the bulb or something to produce a high beam effect?

I figured the constant short off and on cycles werent good for HIDs but what about the regular h3 bulbs?

Last year, I came across a kit that used a magnetic field to move the arc withing the globe for lo and hi beam, but I have lost the bookmark to it and am currently trying to relocate the manufacturer. I recall seeing this kit on eBay last year for ~$300. I had read that it was the ONLY proper retrofit that would not result in an improper beam pattern that would be illegal. The kit actually got good reviews from some lighting experts. Shame I can't find it now.

Here's the patent for such lamp: http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6175199/description.html

Last year, I came across a kit that used a magnetic field to move the arc withing the globe for lo and hi beam, but I have lost the bookmark to it and am currently trying to relocate the manufacturer. I recall seeing this kit on eBay last year for ~$300. I had read that it was the ONLY proper retrofit that would not result in an improper beam pattern that would be illegal. The kit actually got good reviews from some lighting experts. Shame I can't find it now.

Here's the patent for such lamp: http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6175199/description.html

ive seen something similar... if u can retrofit an HID kit from a 350Z, the way it does the highbeams is pretty simple... the metal cover that prevents the bulb from pointing directly upward (to prevent glare) is moved slightly out the way to point some of the light directly forward... if u can somehow get this on ur explorer, i guess that would be what ur looking for... idk how tough it would be though

The headlamp housings are made to reflect light from one point on low and another on high beam. Placing a bulb in the housing at a willie-nilly position will not produce a useable beam.

The headlamp housings are made to reflect light from one point on low and another on high beam. Placing a bulb in the housing at a willie-nilly position will not produce a useable beam.

Thanks:thumbsup: thats what I was kinda thinking. It would probably end up scattering light all over the place and seriously blinding oncoming drivers.

ive seen something similar... if u can retrofit an HID kit from a 350Z, the way it does the highbeams is pretty simple... the metal cover that prevents the bulb from pointing directly upward (to prevent glare) is moved slightly out the way to point some of the light directly forward... if u can somehow get this on ur explorer, i guess that would be what ur looking for... idk how tough it would be though

Is it something like this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-...015QQitemZ250246695532QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

yea pretty similar... as long as its one bulb really, whether the angle or location is slightly altered when the highs are activated, its what ur looking for

I actually wanted something brighter...hence the want for two sets of HIDs:D
I mean I kinda dont want to have to blind oncoming motorists but if it happens it happens

i think most bi xenon kits have only one "bulb" but it moves up and down or side to side to imitate a dual filiment halogen bulb, therefore you wouldnt have to worry about turning on and off too much

those ones that have an hid for a low and a halogen for high beams are no good its not possible for them to get the hid arc and the halogen filametn as close together as in a dual filament halogen bulb(there only and eigth of an inch apart in 9004's) so your beam isnt aimed correctly.
correct me if im wrong.

91exon37 said:

those are exactly it. except in some of his pictures he has the stupid ones with the halogen high beam. i dont know id ask him EXACTLY what kind of bulb youll be getting. and dont be surprized when the answer is in mandarin chinese.

If you want to upgrade to hid high and low get on ebay and search for a seller called Retro-solutions

The kit ive got bookmarked is a bixenon 55w digital ballast kit with a lifetime warranty for. 179$

And he's in conneticut not china

And all the words in the auction description are spelled correctly and use proper grammar(though I don't)

And the claims he makes as to quality aren't something rediculous like 400% BETTER THAN ANY OTHER ON THE MARKET.

When I get around to it I'm definetley(sp) gonna buy from them.

If you want to upgrade to hid high and low get on ebay and search for a seller called Retro-solutions

The kit ive got bookmarked is a bixenon 55w digital ballast kit with a lifetime warranty for. 179$

And all the words in the auction description are spelled correctly and use proper grammar(though I don't)

And the claims he makes as to quality aren't something rediculous like 400% BETTER THAN ANY OTHER ON THE MARKET.

Seller in Connecticut buys them from China for $80, and sells them to you for double. Gee, that's a bargain!

91exploreron37 - You won't need 2 lots of HIDs. If you've ever seen HIDs in action, you will quickly realise that you will hardly ever even need high beam.

Seller in Connecticut buys them from China for $80, and sells them to you for double. Gee, that's a bargain!

91exploreron37 - You won't need 2 lots of HIDs. If you've ever seen HIDs in action, you will quickly realise that you will hardly ever even need high beam.

Ok so I've already installed a set of diamond clear headlights and single beam 50w HIDs
I have HIDS already and yes they are bright as hell...I guess I'm just getting carried away

Can you post a link? I cant find it on ebay

I can't copy and payste man sorry.

Here search for this:

55 watt DIGITAL HID kit 9004 HB1 bixenon LIFETIME WARRANTY!

That's the title of the auction I have bookmarked

I know all this stuff is made in china or japan but he's in conneticut so he acually speaks ENGLISH. and I don't have to ship oversees to get warranty. Or replacement. And 99% feedback. Only one negative in the last 12 months.

And I live in Tulsa man I NEED high beams. If you've ever driving down a dark country road every day. You needem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nah man 175 is cheap since its bizenon AND 55w!

Do you have one of the the 75$ kits in yours now?
I didnt think those would last very long.

Back