• Register Today It's free!

Stupid Tire Question

Rngrs3910

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
06' Explorer V8EB Edition
The sticker on the door of my EX says 32 PSI in each tire. Pretty sure that's lowe enough set off my TPMS.

My Michellin Cross Terrains have a max of 43 PSI listed on the tire, so what should I be inflating to?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are those your stock tires ? or are they different size and/or brand ..... definetely fill to the amount on the tire.Or slightly below, I'd fill to 40. When the tires heat up, the air will expand and give you a few mew psi. and when it cools off they'll be a smidgen lower.

You can do the chalk method to see what is best or go with a good even 34 psi all the way around.. Depends on the load type on the tires

The PSI on the tire is the max the tire can take. Go by what's on the door, you can go 1-2 psi more, but not from 32 to 43. If you air it up to 43, you leave no room for expansion: driving heats up the tire, hot weather as well. I keep mine at 35 all around.
Unless my logic is completely off... then someone please correct me.

The PSI on the tire is the max the tire can take. Go by what's on the door, you can go 1-2 psi more, but not from 32 to 43. If you air it up to 43, you leave no room for expansion: driving heats up the tire, hot weather as well. I keep mine at 35 all around.
Unless my logic is completely off... then someone please correct me.

I agree, running tires about 2 pounds over Ford's recommendations should insure decent handling and tire wear. Pressures should be checked and adjusted cold before driving.

Back