• Register Today It's free!

sub/ amp install question

JayR

Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, Md
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Xplr Sport
Q logic 10 inch truck boxes with jl 10w's. How much power shoudl i run through them? where could i mount the amp out of the way, not on the floor or seats, ceiling mabe, side panels.. ideas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you have a sport, so mount the amp where I have mine. It's out of the way, get plenty of air, and doesn't interfere with anything. It's also easy to get to when I want to mess with it.

View

If you can't tell, its right behind the passenger door. It's drilled into the plastic panel with self tapping screws. It's also very easy to run concealed wires from there.

yeah its also easy to get kicked and weathered there. just curious, but, why did you chose that location?

The JLs that fit in that thing aren't supposed to take more than 125 watts RMS, though they could prolly handle a little more.

Has anyone ever thought of fiberglassing the rear side windowns in and putting subs and Amps there??? Im going to have my amps mounted above the sports reaer seats on the ceiling.

I thought about many other places to mount the amp. It's been in that location for 18 months, and is still going strong. It actually doesn't get kicked that often, even when carrying small kids around. It's held very securely, and doesn't move at all. I dust it off now and then, and it still looks new. High on my priorities were maintaining cargo space and good airflow around the amp.

As for putting it in the ceiling, 1) you have to make sure that area can hold it (maybe put it where the roll bar is), 2) don't damage the headliner, and 3) make sure you don't drill through the roof!

that is why im getting it done professionally, if yoyu look inside at the sports ceiling. you see a nice indent that i can mount 2 rockforfosgate amps together and stil look nice. wish me luck, anyone have any amps for sale?

Jay, if you haven't thought about it, think of getting the cover that's made to go between 2 RF amps. I can't find a picture of it, but it goes between the two amps instead of the triangular covers. It'll really make the install look nice.

Exactly the reason I want to put it there. I think it would loook great. Im what rockford fosgate amp should i get to run some speakers i want like 50 watts per speakers RMS

Originally posted by JayR
Has anyone ever thought of fiberglassing the rear side windowns in and putting subs and Amps there??? Im going to have my amps mounted above the sports reaer seats on the ceiling.

ive seen it done, just used a sheet of pressboard, then cover it with the same material as the headliner or carpet, looks great and you cant tell from the outside of the car.

well, the expedition ive seen was amps in the windows and subs in a fiberglass box taking up the whole floor of the trunk. it was for 2 JL audio 10 w6's, that ish BUMPED!!!!

Why so many amps that they were in the windows? Or was that just were they were mounted? If all he had was 2 10" subs it doesn't seem like he would need that much room.

Steve

Originally posted by mrsteve
Why so many amps that they were in the windows? Or was that just were they were mounted? If all he had was 2 10" subs it doesn't seem like he would need that much room.

Steve

mahh, they guy was a video game dealer and he used the car for shows and promotion.. he had a row of tvs naging so you would stand at the rear of the truck as you would demo the games. it was hids choice for the install and it worked out quite well.

Back