Sub firing into MTX Thunderform. Work? Pic. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sub firing into MTX Thunderform. Work? Pic.

kola

Reaction score
Hi:

There currently is an Explorer for sale on eBay that has a Rockford sub mounted on the outside of a MTX Explorer Thunderform box, firing into the box. Seller says it sounds great. Below is a link to the auction and partial description of the sub set up. Anyone see anything like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&rd=1&item=2482563797&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

Rockford Fosgate 800 watt 10" sub: $239
Custom 10" sub enclosure, specifically for Ford Explorers: $200

What made this install tricky was the monsterous Fosgate 10" sub, which is far too big to fit in the custom Explorer enclosure. So, I just installed it backwards. And guess what, it sounds amazing (see picture).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know. But here is a .02 cent thought for ya, if it sounded that "great" as he says, he wouldn't be selling it.

just because u are selling something that doesnt always make it ****...sometimes people just get tired of things or want new things

mhn3773 said:
just because u are selling something that doesnt always make it crap...sometimes people just get tired of things or want new things
Settle down, you sound like the seller. I never said they were crap, I have never heard them or seen them, I just said beware. If I wouldn't have gone to a custom install I would have gottem me a little box to put in the corner and add a sub to. Probably just like this one. There's hundreds if not thousands of good deals on ebay, but there is also allot of junk there that some people are just trying to unload too.

No it wouldnt sound good unless the sub is a free air. The reason he put it like that was because he bought one that was too big for the box and turned it around...look at the size of the magnet...it wouldnt fit.

BBQ_HotDogs said:
I don't know. But here is a .02 cent thought for ya, if it sounded that "great" as he says, he wouldn't be selling it.

I don't want to start anything, but the guy is selling his truck, and the system with it. He's not selling the system alone, so it doesn't matter whether the sub sounds great or not. Obviously it's the truck he wants to get rid.

kalel33 said:
No it wouldnt sound good unless the sub is a free air. The reason he put it like that was because he bought one that was too big for the box and turned it around...look at the size of the magnet...it wouldnt fit.

And I would think it would sound alright. It doesn't have to be a free air sub, cause it's using the airspace of the box. There are a lot of setups with inverted subs, mostly to show off the pretty undercarriages, but they don't take a hit in the way it performs.

I would just worry about having a "stealth" box and mounting the sub where everyone can see it. Those stealth boxes aren't cheap, and if you wanted to see the sub, just make a custom box, and you will save a ton of money.

Back