sub hooked to factory radio ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

sub hooked to factory radio ?

mechanic021

Reaction score
I have a small amp hooked to my factory head unit with a line out conveter to power my 8inch subwoofer in my truck. My question is , is there a way to adust the amp or something so that when I am using the sub I just get the bass and not the music to? Right now when i turn the amp on the music will will play softly through the sub along with the bass. Can this be corrected? And before someone tells me to getting rid of the factory radio is not an option. thanks

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like your amp has no internal crossovers. You need to get one to filter out the unwanted frequencies.

Yes, install a low pass filter.
Don

my amp has an option called LPF and I turned it on but it still does it. could it be because I have the rcas from the sub amp running from a 4 channel amp that is supplyed by a line out converter from the factory radio?

get rid of the factory radio. :afro:

mechanic021 said:
my amp has an option called LPF and I turned it on but it still does it. could it be because I have the rcas from the sub amp running from a 4 channel amp that is supplyed by a line out converter from the factory radio?

If I am reading this correctly, your four channel amp has a pre-out for a subwoofer. If that is the case, and

1-The LPF is for the sub pre-out, and
2-you have the RCA's connected properly to pass your low frequencies to the right location(ie the subwoofer amplifier), the sounds you are hearing fall within the LPF frequency range.

Keep in mind, the LPF disallows the higher frequencies from passing on to the sub amplifier. So, if it is all wired correctly, you will only hear what the crossover allows to pass. Of course there could be an issue with the FPF not working properly.

Hope that helps...

yes what I am saying is my factory radio goes to a set of line out converters. Then rcas go from there to my 4 channel amp. the amp has rca outputs on it so I used them to run an rca to my subwoofer amp.

mechanic021 said:
yes what I am saying is my factory radio goes to a set of line out converters. Then rcas go from there to my 4 channel amp. the amp has rca outputs on it so I used them to run an rca to my subwoofer amp.

OK, if the LPF switch is on the four channel amp, you should go from the line out converter only to the 4 channel amp. Then, set the LPF switch to the desired freq, or just turn it on. Use RCA cable to go from the pre-out on your 4 channel to route the signal to the sub amplifier. If the LPF is functioning properly, only the frequencies below the cut-off point will pass thru to the sub amp.

If the LPF is on the amplifier you are using for your subwoofer, again, just make certain it is set properly. The RCA hook ups are the same.

Like I said before, the "music" you are hearing may be below the cut-off point of the LPF, or the LPF may not be functioning properly.

Just another thought. Don't try to split the RCA signal between the converter and the 4 channel amp, chances are it is not strong enough to overcome another drop in voltage within the signal.

im not splitting the rca signal i actually have 3 rcas . I have 2 line out converters so I have 2 rcas for the 4 channel amp one for each channel on the amp. the amp has a rca output so I have a 3rd set of rcas going from the 4 channel amp to the subamp. I wil check all my settings though to make sure the LPF is on. thanks for your help.

what class amp is it? if u want something just for bass u would use a class-d amp right?! u might just have like a loud speaker amp meant for door speakers.

Back