• Register Today It's free!

Sub replacement question.

tonga3

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklin Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 exp. EB 5.0
I did a search and it seems to say that in order to replace the stock sub in my '99, I have to remove the entire back panel and sub enclosure in order to get a certain bolt out. Is this correct? Any advice on replacements?
Thanks
Andy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anybody?

I'd also like to know this as well. I really don't need that much more sound to justify making a custom box or getting the MTX setup...

are you trying to replace the box too? If so it is easier to remove the whole side pannel but you can do it by removing the two screws that attach it to the floor and pop all the clips that hold it around the side window and outer edge of the pannel itself. This will leave the front part of the pannel attached. You can then pull it out far enough to get to all the mounting points for the sub box. Just be carefull because the edges of the plastic will slice your hands and arms up. I hope this helps and good luck.

01orangesport said:
are you trying to replace the box too? If so it is easier to remove the whole side pannel but you can do it by removing the two screws that attach it to the floor and pop all the clips that hold it around the side window and outer edge of the pannel itself. This will leave the front part of the pannel attached. You can then pull it out far enough to get to all the mounting points for the sub box. Just be carefull because the edges of the plastic will slice your hands and arms up. I hope this helps and good luck.
Actually I'd just like to get the sub out of the enclosure. Any help with that?

Anymore ideas or help?
Thanks
Andy

If you just want to replace the sub its still easier to do take the 2 screws out of the bottom and pop some of the clips off around the back edge. You dont have to worry about the ones across the top above the window. This will allow you to pull it out far enough to reach all of the screws around the sub. When you replace the sub make sure you get one that is rated at 8 ohm's and not the more common 4 ohm's. If you use a 4 ohm sub it will destroy the factory amp. I have done alot of these and they sound alot better when you replace the sub. If you have any other questons about any kind of audio stuff let me know because I am a MECP certifide installer. Hope this helps

So the factory sub is 8 ohms? I thought for some reason it was 4.

Thanks
Andy

Some are 4 and some are 8. Even if its a 4 ohm I would recomend replacing it with a 8 ohm because it will be easier on the amp. And we all know how that the factory amps are known for taken a crap.

01orangesport: what sub would you recommend replacing it with keeping the stock amp?

hmm

well... no known car audio brands are gonna have a really efficient 8ohm sub thats good sounding, this is prolly the only time in my life i'll reccomend crutchfield, they got tons of OEM speakers that would fit your application, and they are pretty cheap.

The ohm rating of any speaker does not change the way it sounds. The thing that ohm rating effects is the amp. The lower the ohm resistance on an amp the more power it will produce. But with this more power comes more heat and more unwanted noise. The cooler an amp runs the cleaner the sound. If you go below the ohm rating of an amp it will destroy it. Some times this happens in a few seconds or it may take months. As for what sub to use, You wont be able to fit any of the "top of the line" subs because they will be to deep to fit in the sub box. If you want a good sub that doesnt cost alot of money I would recomend MTX. Crutchfield does sell MTX and many other brands. But do you want to wait a few days and god knows what it whent through on the way to your door step. Crutchfield is a good company and from my experience they have good customer service. As for price most places will match crutchfields if you can show it to them.

Thanks for all the help! I just finished putting a JL Sub in, I had to cut away the back of the enclosure and do some fiberglass work, but it went in no problem. I'll post how it sounds after the fiberglass is dry. Thanks again, great board with great people!

Thanks
Andy

Hi all, I just joined and ran across this thread. First, I want to thank you all for the discussion because I had just called Crutchfield and ordered a 4ohm Rockford Fosgate P1 (all they carry is 4ohm). When I read this I canceled my order 'cause I am not sure what is in there now. But from what I got from 01orangesport I want to put in an 8 ohm sub. Do you all consider the P1 as a comparable sub to the OEM ('98 Ltd)?

Thanks again for the insight and suggestions.

gottago

That sub is going to be a better one then the factory

tonga3 said:
Thanks for all the help! I just finished putting a JL Sub in, I had to cut away the back of the enclosure and do some fiberglass work, but it went in no problem. I'll post how it sounds after the fiberglass is dry. Thanks again, great board with great people!

Thanks
Andy
let us know how it goes.

Update

gottago said:
Hi all, I just joined and ran across this thread. First, I want to thank you all for the discussion because I had just called Crutchfield and ordered a 4ohm Rockford Fosgate P1 (all they carry is 4ohm). When I read this I canceled my order 'cause I am not sure what is in there now. But from what I got from 01orangesport I want to put in an 8 ohm sub. Do you all consider the P1 as a comparable sub to the OEM ('98 Ltd)?

Thanks again for the insight and suggestions.

gottago

Okay so I got lazy and had a 8" JL installed in the OEM box (w/apparent modifications similar to Tonga above. I am happy with it while standing still and going below 50mph but, for some reason when I am running 70mph+ I seem to lose all base with the front speakers taking completely over :(
Does this have anything to do with the speed sensitive volume in the MACH system HU or does it have to do with the OEM amp not being powerful enough?

kicker makes an 8'' 8 ohm sub.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back