Sub Woofer and Amp | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sub Woofer and Amp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anybody know how many watts is the stock amp in the 2011 Limited? Im thinking about installing this SB-F-EXPL3/10W3v3: Stealthbox® for 2011-Up Ford Explorer: http://www.jlaudio.com/product/54216.103634.2096.23318.109753/Ford_Explorer_4dr_'11-Up

and wondering if the stock amp is strong enough of if I need an aftermarket one.
The Sony Audio System uses 12 speakers which includes 2 subwoofers and is 390 watts.
The Premium Sound System has 8 speakers and 190 watts of power.

Peter

I thought the Sony system only had one subwoofer? We only have one, and if we should have another, I'm gettin' on the phone right now! :)

I thought the Sony system only had one subwoofer? We only have one, and if we should have another, I'm gettin' on the phone right now! :)
Have you ever counted your speakers? It has 12 but in 10 locations. I wonder if the sub is doubled up? I'll count mine again because I thought I counted 11 some time ago.
I'm actually taking the Ex out of the garage today and yes, I'll be driving it. It has been in there since Thursday evening. Time to dust it off! :D

Peter

I have counted them :). I counted 10 at first, but then realized that the speakers in the rear doors were coaxial, so they count as two speakers in one frame.

Here is the breakdown:
1 x Dash
4 x Front Doors
4 x Rear Doors
2 x 3rd Row
1 x Subwoofer

I have counted them :). I counted 10 at first, but then realized that the speakers in the rear doors were coaxial, so they count as two speakers in one frame.

Here is the breakdown:
1 x Dash
4 x Front Doors
4 x Rear Doors
2 x 3rd Row
1 x Subwoofer
Yes, I came up with the same count although I wasn't aware of rear door ones being coaxial. I think the one in the dash is the 2nd sub.
Another 8 miles added. It's almost broken in. ;)

Peter

Wow 390 watts! Thats not bad. Do you know if the 390 watts is dedicated to the sub or does it supply all 12 speakers?

Wow 390 watts! Thats not bad. Do you know if the 390 watts is dedicated to the sub or does it supply all 12 speakers?
I'm sorry, that I don't know. It just said 390 watt system so it doesn't appear to be dedicated. I got the info from a fairly detailed handout that my salesman gave me a copy of when I ordered my Explorer in Dec. 2010. There were no brochures or actual vehicles available to look at then. I believe it was a manual meant to familiarize salesman with the new model.

Peter

I think the dash mounted speaker is a center channel used for the surround sound dsp setting.

I think the dash mounted speaker is a center channel used for the surround sound dsp setting.
Well that dash speaker is always on. Doesn't seem to matter if the radio is set for Stereo or Surround. So perhaps it serves 2 functions. Center speaker and sub. Otherwise I have no idea where the 2nd sub would be.

Peter

So perhaps it serves 2 functions. Center speaker and sub. Otherwise I have no idea where the 2nd sub would be.
Peter

There is no second sub.. where did you get that there are two subs?

Well that dash speaker is always on. Doesn't seem to matter if the radio is set for Stereo or Surround. So perhaps it serves 2 functions. Center speaker and sub. Otherwise I have no idea where the 2nd sub would be.

Peter

I've never really listened carefully enough to determine if sound even came out of it, lol. For all I know, it is broken! :D

EDIT:

I was able to hear some sound out of it, so I guess it works, lol.

There is no second sub.. where did you get that there are two subs?
See my reply above to majicmic. It is a detailed Ford manual for sales people. It is the same document that explains in detail how various systems such as the Aggressive Deceleration Fuel Shut Off (ADFSO) works.

Peter

See my reply above to majicmic. It is a detailed Ford manual for sales people. It is the same document that explains in detail how various systems such as the Aggressive Deceleration Fuel Shut Off (ADFSO) works.

Peter

I don't see any link to a detailed Ford manual, nor do I see anything related to the explorer that specifies there are two subwoofers. All of the documentation for the explorer says "a sub"

The website shows
Ford%2012%20Spkr.png

A (one) dual channel sub... that's not the same as two subs

I don't see any link to a detailed Ford manual, nor do I see anything related to the explorer that specifies there are two subwoofers. All of the documentation for the explorer says "a sub"

A (one) dual channel sub... that's not the same as two subs

There likely is no link to this document. I believe it was produced by Ford for its sales people to familiarize them with the new Explorer. My salesman photocopied many of the pages and gave them to me. As I said, the document goes into greater detail as to the functions of the various systems than you can find in the brochures.
I decided to go through it when the OP inquired about the sub and the wattage. That is where I found the info I posted and was surprised as well when it listed 2 subs.
2011 Ford Explorer /// Comfort/Convenience
Audio

Premium Sound System
190 watts of power
Eight speakers

Sony Audio System
Includes the features of the AM/FM Stereo with Single-Disc CD/MP3 PLayer plus:
390 watts of power
12 speakers - including two subwoofers - in 10 locations.

It then goes on to talk about Occupancy Settings and the RBDS (Radio Broadcast Data System)

Peter

Okay, in another thread, deewan talks about the subwoofer in the Explorer being a dual voice coil unit (two independent coils connected to a single cone). I wonder if the document writers took that to mean two subwoofers?

Here is a Crutchfield Link that goes into detail.

After listening to the center channel last night, I can confirm that it is not a subwoofer as the sound coming out of it was in the very high range :)

I can only speak to my system Sony system which should be the same as all other Sony setups... there is NOT two subwoofers. There is a single 8-inch sub in the rear quarter panel on the passenger side. The speaker in the dash is not a sub as previously suggested.

Peterk9, the document you were provided is either wrong, or worded very poorly. As VinceL stated (again why am I always posting AFTER him :)) the subwoofer is a dual voicecoil so both right and left channels are played through one driver.

As for the total system power, the 390 watts is divided between all locations. The sub driver it rated at 60 watts per channel so it could be sucking about half of the total systems power. Now remember, this is not real power. A system rated at 390 watts could equate to an actual 150 watts, then take that and divide it between 9 channels and you get about 16 watts or so. Which is about what normal car systems push out. Low-end car systems push about 5-10 watts. Companies take big leaps when the state power. Ever wonder how those tiny computer speaker systems have 1500 watts of power? The speaker wire they supply you with would burst into flames if that much power was sent through it. Not to mention the power supply limits that one home electrical outlet can supply… ok back on track.

majicmic the stock amp will power the JL box, but not very well. You would need to get a dedicated amp. And for the amount of money that setup would cost, there are better options, IMO.

I can only speak to my system Sony system which should be the same as all other Sony setups... there is NOT two subwoofers. There is a single 8-inch sub in the rear quarter panel on the passenger side. The speaker in the dash is not a sub as previously suggested.

Peterk9, the document you were provided is either wrong, or worded very poorly. As VinceL stated (again why am I always posting AFTER him :)) the subwoofer is a dual voicecoil so both right and left channels are played through one driver.
I think I'll go with the 'poorly worded' suggestion. I don't know why a factory vehicle would have two subs anyway. Like I said, I was very surprised when I read that in the document. Even my home surround systen only has one sub.
Thanks for the info deewan. :thumbsup:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There likely is no link to this document. I believe it was produced by Ford for its sales people to familiarize them with the new Explorer. My salesman photocopied many of the pages and gave them to me. As I said, the document goes into greater detail as to the functions of the various systems than you can find in the brochures.
I decided to go through it when the OP inquired about the sub and the wattage. That is where I found the info I posted and was surprised as well when it listed 2 subs.
2011 Ford Explorer /// Comfort/Convenience
Audio

Premium Sound System
190 watts of power
Eight speakers

Sony Audio System
Includes the features of the AM/FM Stereo with Single-Disc CD/MP3 PLayer plus:
390 watts of power
12 speakers - including two subwoofers - in 10 locations.

It then goes on to talk about Occupancy Settings and the RBDS (Radio Broadcast Data System)

Peter

I believe that document is from the Taurus... which does have two 6x9 subwoofers in the back deck.

The Explorer most definitely has 1 subwoofer

Back