Subs for Small Enclosures

Rob2000XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
Hey,
Does anyone have any recommendations on 10 inch subs that work well in small enclosures (.65 or so cubic feet)? I am looking for SQ more than SPL, but SPL would be nice if possible. I know I will get better bass with more volume, but I want the space.

Also, if you were to recommend a 12 inch sub in a medium enclosure (1.0 cubic feet) what would it be?

Thanks in advance for your input,
Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Audiobahn subwoofers work well in very small enclosures. that is what they are recommended for by the manufacturer.

check out www.audiobahninc.com they have lots of different subs to choose from that will work well in a small space.

Image Dynamics IDQ. The 10 and 12 are great in small enclosures. The Alpine Type-R has really good SQ too, but I'm a little biased :)

Steve

the alpine type R is awesome, but i think it requires a little more airspace. i'm not sure though, since i dont have the spec sheet near me.

The 12" is .7-1.0
The 10" goes as low as .66 I believe. That's a small box. Real tight bass.

Steve

Is there much of a difference in the Type S and the Type R?

the type r is a much better subwoofer than the type s.
they sound better, hit harder, have a better frequency response, and handle more power.

Yes Yes Yes. The Type-S is an entry level sub with lower power handling. The sound quality is also much lower. Spend the few extra bucks on the Type-R trust me.

Steve

So would you recommend, two 10's in small enclosures or one 12 in a medium enclosure.

Also, what do you guys think of JL's stuff (particularly the sealed Powerwedge with one 12)
Thanks,
Rob

I'd also recommend the Diamond M5. I think it's comparable to the Image Dynamics, and can take even more power I believe.

Back