CALDWELL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia Airport, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 V6 Silver XLT
hey boys...

i have noticed within the last week or so i CANNOT run my system like i have been since i bought everything monthes ago...

my HU goes up to 46 volume... i run it at 40...

my ipod runs at about 90% volume...

my bass settings range from -6 to +6... i have been running -4...

i do not use any of the bass boost settings my HU has...

DUAL hd6420 HU / DUAL XIA series 1000w 2 channel AMP / KENWOOD 5x7'' 220w speakers / 2 KENWOOD W3012 SUBS rated 400w RMS per sub

lately i can only run my volume at 35 out of 46... and my bass is at -6...

when i play music even at 40 with the bass at -6... i can just start to smell my subs getting heated ????????

i have not messed with anything... cause idk what im doing lol

any suggestions y all the sudden its acting up ???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are burning the coils. STOP RIGHT AWAY!!! Turn your gain on the amp down. Btw, what ohm load are the subs seeing? With it being a dual amp, I would guess the amp cannot put out anywhere near the 1k but still.

Yea thats your coils saying FIRE! Lol

NUTZON...

thanks for the input about the gain setting...

today after work i am goin to the shop who did my system and have them retune the amp appropriatly...

heres a thought that may contribute to the problem im having ????

originally i bought KENWOOD W3011's... and on memorial day i cracked my faceplate while i was tailgating a phillies game... so i went to the shop to buy a replacement sub, and the shop no longer had that model... KENWOOD upgraded the sub to the now W3012's... I was told that the only difference between the 3011 n 3012 was that the 3012's have 2 voice coils instead of 1 which the 3011's had...

could this be y im experiencing this problem ??? i never had the amp settings changed when i bought the new subs... just drilled them into the box and plugged them in... ??????

everything you told us about volume settings mean nothing without the correct gain setting.

How do you know your head unit is not clipping the output signal or that the amplifier is putting out a clipped signal??

Dual is not a quality brand so the ratings are inflated...the outputs could clip easily depending on the settings on the unit.

that there is your problem. i was going to ask if anything has changed recently as to why they're just now smelling it if you havent messed with anything. you're going to want to change the old sub to the new version as well. reason being, say you have a 2 ohm single voice coil, you wire it up to one channel and you get a 2 ohm load on that channel. now you run a new one, say it's a 2 ohm dual voice coil, you're running that one at 1 ohm, while the other one is being ran at 2 ohms. and if you have the gains set for 2 ohms, then the sub that is seeing a lower ohm load is getting more power (maybe more than it can handle) or the amp is clipping to all hell causing EXCESSIVE heat to the sub which will damage it as well.

i will bet the amp is running at mixed ohm loads which is what is causing that. if you want to run them at 2 ohms, get dual 4 ohm model subs. i doubt they make them in dual 1 ohm models

i solved the issue...

i went to my audio shop, and as usual they hooked me up !!! for the business i have brought them with my firehouse buddies...

i explained what my issue was with the subs, and told them i believe i need my amp to be tuned down a lil bit... told them about the light burning smell also...

so they adjusted the settings on my amp, and replaced both of the subs with another fresh set of W3012's covered by my 1 year warranty... and i walked out only paying 35$...

now i have no smell, and the X feels just as good as it did before it started actin funny...

glad to hear :) it's nice when shops help instead of try to take advantage of you

could also be your enclosure...if ur tuned too high and playing lower bass a lot of woofers arent durable enough to take their rated power under tuning frequency. But thats usually the suspension that fails before the coil

if the subsonic filter is set properly that shouldnt be toooo much of an issue either. but notice i said *properly* :) if he's taking it to a shop, he most likely wont be able to tell if it is or not. his bff4lyfe might've just wanted him to throw in some chopped music and BAM there want a speaker :p

if the subsonic filter is set properly that shouldnt be toooo much of an issue either. but notice i said *properly* :) if he's taking it to a shop, he most likely wont be able to tell if it is or not. his bff4lyfe might've just wanted him to throw in some chopped music and BAM there want a speaker :p
most shops will set the subsonic to their desired 25ish hz range but not even look at the enclosure. Which could be one of the horrible prefab "SPL" enclosures tuned to 65 hz

ah true true. sometimes i give shops too much credit :scratch: :D

Back