• Register Today It's free!

subs up port back or...?

dbmonster

Reaction score
City, State
san angelo tx.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 xlt
i'm about to start building a box for my new explorer, and i wanted to see what kind of results others have had from various box setups, woofers facing up and port facing back vs. woofers and port facing back ect...

in my old explorer the first box i built was for 2 15's and was a normal style ported box with the woofers and port on the same face, and it didn't seam to matter if the box faced up or back, the #'s were the same. but i never tried a box with the woofers up and port back. i ended up removing the back seats and building a wall with 4 15's. anyway, in my next vehicle (a gmc jimmy) i tried the woofers up port back design with 2 15's and liked it, but never tried anything else to compare it to. long story short i'm debating between the up/back or back/back design for my next box in my current explorer which will be for 2 mtx 9500 15's

any input would be helpful

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definitely CRX style...subs up port back.

If you want louder bass sub up port back is usually best. I've had both....sub back port back sounds better but crx style is louder

If you want louder bass sub up port back is usually best. I've had both....sub back port back sounds better but crx style is louder

As a general rule, I agree with this statement. If you wanted to build dozens of boxes you may find a different sweet spot in your vehicle. I prefer sub back, port back, tuned in the 25-30hz range, but I'm a music buff, not a boomer.

Back