• Register Today It's free!

TMRW

Reaction score
City, State
Whitby Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Sport Trac
Hello All

I am glad I found this site. I am having an issue with my subwoofer in my 2010 Explorer Sport Trac there is a hum when the truck is in park with the engine on. The hum gets much loaded when dropped into gear and at times during driving the hum is so bad that it puts the subwoofer into overload causing a popping sound which is unbearable and I have to pull over and shut the vehicle down. It does not matter if the radio is on or off. This happened today again, and when I pulled on the shoulder and shut the vehicle off I turned on the hazard lights on only to find the subwoofer thumping away to the tune of the hazard lights it sounded like it had a heart beat so bizarre.

Has anyone come across this before or any ideas what might be causing this?

Actually, the correct section would be the audio forum. ^ :)

Hello fellow Ontarioian.

Sounds like your typical alternator whine.

"The biggest offender of noise in the car audio environment is alternator whine. Alternator whine is caused by a difference in electrical potential (voltage) between two points. It's usually caused by a ground connection that is less than ideal. The main culprits are the amp, the head unit and any intermediate components such as crossovers and equalizers. Basically any component that touches the low level music signal (from RCA cables). It's usually cured by finding the source of the noise entrance and re-grounding that component. (Source: http://www.caraudiohelp.com/newsletter/alternator_whine.html)

Start simple, ensure the wires on the battery are making solid contact and not corroded, and move from there. Check the body to frame grounds. Then check the radio grounds. Ensure there's no corrosion and that all the wires/straps are in decent condition.

Back