Success with 06 Stang 4.0 swap into 01 Exp 2wd?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Success with 06 Stang 4.0 swap into 01 Exp 2wd??

stangsteeda

Reaction score
City, State
Asheville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Explorer Sport
Hi, I have a 2001 Explorer sport, 2wd, manual trans with the 4.0 SOHC. I replaced timing chains, guides, and tensioners and I believe the cam gear slipped and bent valves so I am scrapping that motor. I have an ongoing thread about it here http://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278364

Well on to the point. I am looking at a 2006 Mustang 4.0 SOHC with 60,000 miles to swap in that I can get for a good deal. I am aware I have to swap intakes, valve covers, wiring harness, possibly fuel rail, and some front accessories which is not a problem. My concern at this point is about the camshafts. I have seen mentioned before this swap may need some pcm tuning due to possibly camshaft differences?? I havent found a definitive answer yet so I was wondering if there is any new information or if anyone can confirm they had a success with this swap?

It is my belief that the cams could not be that different (if at all) that the mass air pcm couldnt just compensate and run like a champ. Thats what I hope anyway.

Is there anything else I am overlooking that could be a problem or should I just go ahead and get it this Saturday?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I bought the motor and will have it by the weekend. I will start swapping the necessary parts from my motor to it and let you guys know how it goes.

I don't think I've seen it done on here, but I say go for it!

you should document the swap with pictures

I don't foresee any real issues. You should have to change the oil pump pickup to the old one if you swap oil pans. I put an 04 Ranger engine into my '97, I changed over everything external, intake, injectors, wiring, oil pan, valve covers, etc, so it would bolt in and have the wiring be the same. The old engine had some PCV thing under the intake, the new engine didn't, but the blocks are the same they just put a plug in the newer ones.

Thanks for all the tips guys, I am hoping for the motor to be delivered today or tomorrow so the fun will begin this weekend. I will be sure to get as many pics as possilbe of any differences I find.

Thanks again,
Brian

Its done and running like off the showroom floor. Anyone that needs a new 4.0 SOHC, the 2005 - 2010 Mustang version works as well.

The only things I swapped were:
-fuel injectors and rail
-intake
-valve covers
-powersteering pump/ac bracket
-wiring harness
-motor mounts
-exhaust manifolds
-thermostat housing

The oil pan looked identical in everyway to my explorer one so I didnt even bother swapping it.

It is quiter than it has ever been, very pleased. Thanks for all the help guys!

no pics = :thumbdwn: :p

good job tho.

Now, if we could only get ahold of a 3.7L V-6 from the NEW 2011 Mustang!

Ryan

Yea sorry again about no pics I was just trying to bust my rump to get it done.

But that new v6 is an amazing motor. I would love to put one of those in a fox body mustang as a daily driver.

I've always owned V8 Mustangs, my whole life (Explorer is just a beater) but for the first time, I'm actually considering a V6. 300+HP and 30+MPG for mid 20s...cant beat that with a wiffle ball bat.

Back