successful plug and wire change - 96 EB | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

successful plug and wire change - 96 EB

cmayna

Reaction score
City, State
Menlo Park, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB & 97 Sport
With the help of Sageuvagony detailed instructions and words of wisdom from those such as IgotTwo, Alec and others, I replaced the wires and plugs in my 96 EB. The biggest helper was the 3/8" hose to start the new plugs. Since I did not have a 5/8" plug socket, I first switched all wires, went to Grand Auto and got the correct socket and then started replacing the plugs. The wire for #4 plug was a little too short to my likens but I worked around it.

Now I remember why I enjoy working on my 1950 chevy 1/2 t pickup's engine. My wife and I can sit in the engine compartment, with lunch while I putz around. Here's an example of pure simplicity and beauty:

[Dead Link Removed]

Guess how long it takes to replace those plugs and wires : - )

The Explorer doesn't even have room for a mutent salimander. I could not believe how much work (removing the tire well) it was to replace the passenger side plugs. Nevertheless, 3+ hours later, I had it up and running. Thanks to all for your great words of wisdom.....

cmayna

Reaction score
City, State
Menlo Park, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB & 97 Sport
Forgot to also mention to first steam clean your engine and wheel wells. You'll not regret the expense.