Suddenly lost fuel pump - help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suddenly lost fuel pump - help!

J

JDegenerate

Have a 97 Explorer Sport 4.0 OHV. Previous owners had a radar jammer installed that was powered by splicing into the radio power. It makes a bad buzzing noise because of this, so I unplugged the radio trying to make the noise stop. Started the car and ran like CRAP so I cut it off. Now I'm not getting anything from the fuel pump. It's not cutting on at all. Is there a radio anti-theft I triggered maybe? This is my only car so I need it fixed ASAP.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably a coincidence, but I'd plug the thing back in and see if it works again.

Probably a coincidence, but I'd plug the thing back in and see if it works again.
I plugged the radio back in and made sure everything was back to the way it was. No dice. Fuel pump just isn't cutting on now. No pressure at the schraeder valve. Tried disconnecting battery too, nothing. Swapped the relay and checked fuses, nothing there either.

Inertia switch is still pressed down, it didn't flip - but now that I had the car towed into the garage and it's quiet, I can hear a few clicks after I turn the key to on position. What could that be? I rechecked all the related fuses and relays and they all look fine.

Edit: at least one click is the relay, but the last one comes from something over toward the engine. Can't find what.

Edit 2: Final click noise is coming from around the TB. Weird?

Take a rubber mallet and pound on the underside of the gas tank. Try to start it. If it starts, you have a bad fuel pump.

From your join date, I assume that your Ex is relatively new to you.

With that in mind, since you probably don't know when it was last replaced, don't forget to replace your Fuel Filter ;-)

No sense having a new fuel pump work harder than it has to -

Don't skimp; Stock Motorcraft fuel filters are the hands down winner.

Purchase from Rock Auto - check around on the interwebs for the 5% off coupon code.

Back