Suggestions for a New Explorer Owner. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suggestions for a New Explorer Owner.

ions

Reaction score
City, State
Pasadena, MD / Annapolis , MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer Sport Trac
Hello,

I just kinda stumbled and found this place and been looking through the forums and i must say the work some of you guys do is just amazing! most the trucks on here are just works of art to me they are awesome but anuff of me making your egos bigger than they need to be ;) i posted cause i just bought a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac acouple months ago and i've been thinking of things to do to it and i've looked through alot of trucking mags my friend gave me and outta the 30 or so he gave me (Truckin', Mini Truckin, Trucking Weekly, Off Road Truckin, Sport Truckin, Sport Truck and also acouple mags on Truck Accessories like Stylin Concepts and such) and mostly if not all mags had Dodge and Chevy and barely any Ford truck parts or reveiws and out of all the mags i could only find one little article on installing a billet grill in a ST which showed like 2 pictures of the before and after :fire:.
Anyway ive had my truck for about 1 1/2 months for about $5,000 (blue book vaule was about 11K) only thing wrong was 2 dents in the hood (which i covered with a bug guard) so i've been looking at doing some work on it might lower it abit and get some clear taillights and do some minor work inside of it but if anybody could make some suggestions as to some nice (cheap) things i can do on a limited budget (around 500$) i would thank you very much.

MVC-001F.gif

MVC-002F.gif

MVC-003F.gif

MVC-004F.gif

MVC-005F.gif

MVC-006F.gif

MVC-007F.gif

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
60,021 Miles
6 CD Indash Player
All Leather Int
Custom Billet Grill
Clear Corners
9007 Ultra White Bulbs
Power Moon Roof
6X8 Sony Xplodes in the front and rear.
Pretty Much Stock :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea my uncle's friend was being shipped off to germany (he is in the navy) and is single and doesn't really have any family so he told me i could buy it off him cause he didn't wanna go through the hassle of selling it on ebay or somewhere he would have to wait cause he would be leaving in acouple days so he sold it too me for $5,000 i almost had a heart attack plus he didn't really care for the truck that much cause he bought it as a beater truck but has been in and out the the US for months at a time and didnt have time for it.

Yea i've noticed not alot of places carry ST stuff most i've found is some Intakes and some Exhaust systems which i would like to do both of one day when i have the time and funds :) and i would also like to do some stuff so i have more pickup cause the thing has the pickup of a tank :rolleyes: also i've never had a car with O/D so is this a good thing to have on or off? manual does'nt say much and this is only my 2nd veichle the other being a 87 VW Cabrio which didnt have that opition :rolleyes:

Mechanically under the hood I believe is the same as the 01 Explorer Sport and 4 Door V6 SOHC... So any parts like intakes and such for those should fit yours... About the only thing that I can think of that would be different (HP Mod wise anyway) would be a cat back exhaust system..

Yea i was just wondering if some proformance parts for other explorer v6 SOHC engines would work with this truck.

Take a look here,
http://www.kustomz.com
they sell an intakes for most Explorers, gives you a little more power and improves your gas mileage. Does make the engine a bit louder but I kinda like it that way, more of a rumble. A lot of people here have them installed, if you do a search for KKM you can get other people's opinions.

I'd also look at Explorerexpress.com
Check out the replacement sway bars. If the Sport trac is like the Sport you'd only need to replce the rear sway bar. It make a big difference in the handling, I just replaced mine a couple of weeks ago and I wish I had done it years ago.

One thing I would do if I were you, is to either paint or replace the bulbs inside your clear corners. If you use a high temperature silver paint over your orange bulbs the bulb willl still light up orange, but you won't see them in the clear corners. I was lazy and just bought bulbs like that but I can't remember where I bouth them from, but painting them is much cheaper.

Looks great though, I really like how that grill looks with the Silver.

Thanks for the suggestions. I also was looking at bulbs for my signals online but haven't really found any and also another question, is the sway bar hard to install? i know i probably can't do it as i have very limited car knowledge of cars and trucks but my girlfriends step father does and has his own garage and tools.

window tint, and more aggressive tires would be really slick on that, great looking truck!

Yea the front windows were tinted the same as the back but kept failing inspection cause it was too dark even when i had it at legal tint they kept telling me it was too dark and after like the 5th time changing it i said screw it maryland inspection/emmissions sucks and those tires are brand new only thing in my price range i could afford (about $110/p) and thanks for the suggestions i wanna get them tinted again but dont wanna go through the hassle i might just have to slip someone a 50$ to get the sticker ;) .

Sorry another question i just found this online

AIRAID POWERAID Throttle Body Spacer
5-8 hp/13ft lbs torque

would that be a good engine addon? its about 100$ and says it will make some extra noise of air running in the engine just wondering if anyone here has it or heard it?

They sway bar isn't that hard to do, I did it without even putting it up on jack stands but from what I hear it's easier to do if you jack it up.

My first thing to do would be to have the lower body cladding painted the same silver color as the rest of the truck. It's really noticable how the later (03+) ST and sports are monotone... the truck looks sooo much cleaner! :p

Oh yea i so wanna paint it but do you know where i would be able to find the paint code so it matches? i don't wanna paint it and have it not match.

You should be able so find the paint code inside the drivers door jamb, if not, just run to the dealer and they'll have it.

Sweet gonna do that monday since thats the last day of my vacation Thanks for the help.

Back