Suggestions on new CD player?

Lazzman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport 4wd- V6 Sohc
The factory player in my '98 X is acting up and I think it is time to replace it. The display stopped working which I guess is common but it is also getting really bad reception almost all of the stations are plagued with static and they never were before.

Besides I would like to get something with a clock that works and an HD radio tuner built in.

I am going to run just the 4 original speakers, no amps or subs. My main concern is performance. A good head unit that has good power, cd clarity and gets good reception. I like Alpine and Kenwood but have not reviewed them in detail.

Can anyone make a good suggestion as to something that will meet my needs and is a good value. :afro:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Someone must have some feedback on this subject? :confused:

You can't go wrong with Alpine, its a little pricey though. I know Pioneer has a special thing for radio called SuperTuner IIID, it might get a little better reception. Pioneer also had BSM (best station memory) which picks the 6 strongest signals and sets them as your presets. You might want to check out Pioneer a little more, although I don't know if they sell any models with HD tuners. Here is a list of HD cd players from Crutchfield. This is a wonderful site for all things car stereo. If you have any questions you can do a live chat or call them, they are very helpful. Hope this helps a little.

Yes this is very helpful :D

Thanks ap...

I happen to really like Pioneer products. Sometimes Alpine and Kenwood are difficult to "work". I happen to have a nice Pioneer that I would like to sell:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160556&page=2

I don’t know if you want a used one, but this is a good one for what you need. I would guarantee it to be good.

Yes this is very helpful :D

Thanks ap...

I like Alpine personally, ive had them in 2 other cars and just got a system installed in my x including a JL W6, for about 100 bucks i got one that looks good and has control for a sub. Just in case the model number is CDA-9856 i recommend it

I used a sony to replace my original cassette/radio. Crutchfield is a great pace to shop and they give you really good instructions.

Back