Suggestions On Running Ipod Cable? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suggestions On Running Ipod Cable?

blovell

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 xlt
Hey all. I'm toying with the idea of getting a new headunit with a USB input on the back. I was wondering if anyone had done something similar with an 02-05 Explorer. Does anyone have suggestions on the best route for running the USB cable from behind the headunit to a useful location? Pictures would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

into the glovebox, if you can control ipod functions through the head unit. which most can these days.

beware though.

just cause it has a usb input does NOT mean it will work with an ipod.

Apple is a company run buy a nutjob(s) and nothing they make is simple. the head unit must be specifically designed for ipods for it to work via USB.
mine comes out of the glove box. i have never had any problems with this setup.

i also have some sony basic el-cheapo single din units with integrated ipod cable for around 110$, i have this in other cars, since the X is running the oem casette/single cd head unit (hoping i´ll find a perfect din and a half unit with ipod control very cheap), but i also ran the cables to the glove box, and it woks like a charm; since it´s well hidden, i´ve forgotten the ipod a couple of times in the car while only taking the front of the unit out, and if avoids the courious eyes of thieves. And its great to control it from the faceplate, or the remote control, having the names in the stereo display.

My H/U has the integrated IPOD control, but I hate it. Unless the HU is a full screen type I just stick with connecting my ipod by standard A/V cables. I prefer to just control it by the ipod, all thought that has almost got me in several crashes, and with driving a manual now I might just set up playlists and deal with what I have.

This is what I plan on buying:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1009

My 30 gig headphone port is F'ed so this way I can have a dedicated truck Ipod and this charges it at the same time.

Alpine has a lot of units that work well with the ipod. The 9886 comes with a ipod cable for your ipod, plus it has a usb so you can use a usb flash drive.

If you don't mind having no cd player, alpine also makes this
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500IDAX100/Alpine-iDA-X100.html?tp=5684

It has small screen that will display not only your song info but your album art. It also has a usb connection.

I don't really use cds anymore, but i went with the 9886 because I can still use cds if I want.

If you really wanted to you could with one of these rather then getting a new deck.
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=eX-10&view=iPod

I do not know anoyone that has it, but youtube has some videos. Its a graphic interface for your factory radio, that controls ipod and bluetooth. I don't know if it works with aftermarket HUs or not.

I know a lot of brands have the ipod intergration anymore. I just find alpine to have a very clean connection. Yes, you run the cable to the glove box. I believe its like 6 feet long.

My H/U has the integrated IPOD control, but I hate it. Unless the HU is a full screen type I just stick with connecting my ipod by standard A/V cables. I prefer to just control it by the ipod, all thought that has almost got me in several crashes, and with driving a manual now I might just set up playlists and deal with what I have.

This is what I plan on buying:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1009

My 30 gig headphone port is F'ed so this way I can have a dedicated truck Ipod and this charges it at the same time.

I have that exact cable and the entire concept sucks. I have a panasonic hu and it only has Aux inputs. That's the only reason I use it. Running an Ipod through an aux input has a sn ratio of I believe 85 db's. USB input is something like 103. The difference in sq is dramatic. I also believe that running through an aux input uses the da converter in the Ipod and not in the hu. If you have a usb please use it unless the difference doesn't bother you. There is a new hu in my near future for this very reason.

I ran my usb cable from my pioneer deck thru the center console to the external hard drive in my center glove box...(in your case ipod)

31323010031_large.jpg

3132301_21_full.jpg

3132301_23_full.jpg

I will post some pictures of how I routed my USB cable. I should have them up tomorrow.

Back