• Register Today It's free!

Suggestions/Opinions

philipb123

Reaction score
City, State
Blacklick Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Explorer LTD
I just got a 2004 Explorer LTD AWD yesterday, very nice. Best/most expenive one they had on the lot. I really liked it. I want to add more chrome and I'm thinking about adding the following:

- Chrome side window pillar trim
- chrome taillamp surrounds
- Chrome original equipment step bars
- Chrome exhaust tip

Does anyone have pics of the first 2? I've seen the step bars and tips, but not the trim or taillamp surrounds on an X. Do you think they'll look nice?

Here are some pics of the X:
www.gfxstop.com/SUV/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Chrome? Bad
All Black? Good

(except on wheels)

Anyone here that likes chrome have an opinion? Pics would be nice too...

I am unsure about the window trim and tail light surrounds.
The closest I have seen for the tail lights is there little grille guard things, that I think look terrible, but that is just my opinion.
I am not even sure they are avalible for an 04.
Best of luck in youe endevours.

The pillar trim I haven't seen anything like it. But the tail light guards I've seen similar ones on the mountaineer which I thought look pretty nice...

What about chrome door handles? Do they have those for explorers?

I'm not too fond of having the b-pillar trim or chrome door handles. IMO, it just screws up the look. But I like the idea of having chrome step bars, exhaust tip, and taillamp surrounds. I think I've seen the taillamp covers on ebay for like $20 or $30 before.

I like the idea of chrome but like the others haven't seen a whole lot of choices if any. Most car makers are not even using chrome in design, so to find OEM will be a challenge. I myself am interested in finding out if there is a process to chrome your own parts. Not the metal process but the plastic process. All the so called chrome paints on the market suck and are just cans of siver paint. I'm gonna do some research and will post in this thread if I come up with something. Good luck in your search as well.

Thanks man. I wish they had door handles atleast, that woulda look nice. I'm not too sure about the pillar trim, but the taillights, steps and maybe the exhaust tip will look nice.

Chroming a part is like an 8 step process which i dont think that is available to the average joe to do. You can send your parts to someone to do it though.

Well that didn't take long. The process used to plate plastic and other stuff that chrome like coating is called vacuum metallizing. The thin chrome is actually evaporated alluminum. Not a terribly complicated process but you can find a company that will pretty much coat whatever you need coated. But basically theres a chamber with a rotating table put under a vacumm, a tungsten heat element wrapped with alluminum wire. Vac it down turn on the heat slowly wait for the alluminum to melt, release the vacum let cool and presto! Shiney chrome! Coat with a clear to protect. You can purchase a vacum metallizer but I can only imagine what that would cost. Someone interested in starting a new business? The applications are endless. Sorry about the long post, I get on something and can't let it go until I know.

Just noticed you're in Ohio too, Blacklick is by Gahanna which is like 15 minutes from downtown...

Back