Summer Run in GA, AL, FL Area

bmxking5

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport & '96 XLT
OK, I am tired of hi-jacking everyones thread to talk about this. ;) We are trying to get a run together for early to mid July!

Does anyone know of a good place to wheel that would be in one of these areas? It needs to be a place that is worth a few hours drive. There is a place called River Rock in Milledgeville, GA, but I think it is invitation only and it would be a 7.5 hr drive for XplorerKid and 5 hrs. for j602. Beasley Knob is in North GA, so that is even farther. I looked up Grey Rock in AL, but it is in North AL, costs $75 per group, and is supposed to be pretty difficult. Does anyone have a suggestion??? I really want to have a summer run.

I guess if we can't figure out a place to go around those areas, we can just start a thread for a summer run to Tellico. :D

EDIT:
Here's a list of some trails around this area. Post or PM if you have more to add because I know I probably left several off.

ALABAMA
1.Gray Rock – AL Gray Rock Website ($75 per veh., min. of 10 veh., plus lots of other large expenses)
2.Gardendale – AL

GEORGIA
1.Beasley Knob – GA (Mild-Difficult depending on weather)
2.River Rock – Milledgeville, GA (Stock-Difficult)
3.Anderson Creek – GA CLOSED
4.Rich Mtn. – GA CLOSED
5.Tatum Lead – GA (Stock/Really short)
6.Rabun Bald 4WD Trail – Clayton, GA (Stock-Difficult)
7.Stonewall Falls – Clayton, GA
8.Tiftonia – GA (Private Prop.=Must Be w/ GA Trail Runners)
9.Big Tower - GA?? (Private Prop.)
10.Dawson Forest - Dawsonville, GA (FREE)
11.Rocky Flats ORV - Crandall, GA (3.5 miles-"Trail offers challenging/safe ride w/ many sharp curves")
12.Lucas Road - Cartersville, GA (FREE)-Waiting on more info.

TENNESSEE
1.Wind Rock – TN Wind Rock Website
2.Coal Creek - Oliver Springs, TN Coal Creek Website
3.Wheelin in The Country – Summertown,TN($20=1st day,$10=extra days,$5 per pass.)W.I.T.C. Site

KENTUCKY
1.Bailey’s Creek – Harlan, KY (FREE=6hrs from Lawrenceville, GA) KYMC Website

NORTH CAROLINA
1.Tellico – NC
2.Uwharrie – Troy, NC

SOUTH CAROLINA

FLORIDA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stock trails! Woot! But that's the same one we just talked about. 5 hrs is a long drive.

Yeah I've been to Gardendale. It's not too far. That place does look pretty nice. A little challenging though.

I thought it was in north AL, as in 4-5 hrs from you? Did you take your Explorer? Maybe we could try that place?

Nah man, I've never taken my truck more than 15 minutes to go wheel. :p We could try it though. Might be a stretch for Caleb though....

Well, I think heard him talking about maybe taking a road trip to Tellico!!! I don't even know if the Heep could stay running that long. :p

I think I will update the first post with a long list of the ORV parks around these areas so hopefully we can find some more and/or pick one of them.

Sounds good. We'll see what happens.

Sounds like fun. Maybe I could arrange a trip with you all.

mechanix-All the way from Michigan!!! :eek:

MDPuckett84-Would you want to go if we went?

Ok guys I just got a PM from Jess Williams(the guy in charge of River Rock) and he said that it would be open to ANYONE! You don't even have to be in a club to go. I just now PMed him back seeing if he meant that it was open to anyone only on those days or anytime at all(other than when it's reserved).
Jess Williams said:
Everyone is invited, you don't have to be a member of a club to ride. Just show up and have some fun on our new trails. If this ride is successful, groups and clubs may be able to reserve the place on weekends. It just depends on what kind of turnout. We love going to Tellico etc, but, we just wanted it to grow here in Middle Georgia. We have trails for everyone from mild to wild, also there are areas set up like a playground that you can play on rock garndens, logs, etc. If you have any questions feel free to pm me. Thanks,

Jess

bmxking5 said:
mechanix-All the way from Michigan!!! :eek:

MDPuckett84-Would you want to go if we went?

Ok guys I just got a PM from Jess Williams(the guy in charge of River Rock) and he said that it would be open to ANYONE! You don't even have to be in a club to go. I just now PMed him back seeing if he meant that it was open to anyone only on those days or anytime at all(other than when it's reserved).

I'd be interested but i wont know for sure until we get closer. I'm off for 9 days in a week or so to go to Alaska so i need to work to make up the time off if i can, plus im trying to find a new job. So i'll let you know in a few weeks.

Yeah I could load the X up on the trailer and get the Dodge loaded up and drive on down. I will have to see how my work schedule is going, I just started a new job not sure if I can get time off. Sounds like fun though.

I will keep checking back to see what you all have decided where to wheel.

Only a 14-18 hr drive. It would also give me a good chance to try out the new (well new to me) Explorer.

Ok cool. Hopefully we can get some more guys (big351bronc, bruce'sexpo, Xplorerkid, etc.) to join the thread and let us know where they'd want to go.

hey, i think in early July wold be better for me, or really late June. I need some time to earn soem money, to fix a couple things, and be able to afford the gas for up there.

Im gunna most likely tow up there, with a dodge ram charger, and a car hauler. Any place we wheel ill need a place to park.....

I cant promise for sure if ill be able to do this over the summer, i want to, but we will have to see.... I most likely will, but my mom would prolly tag along, since it would be our "vacation" and that way i can easily get her approval, AKA get her to help pay for most of the trip :D

but we will see, yall decide where. the closer the better to me but w/e yall want....

OK. Hopefully Jess will PM me back and say that it will be open to everyone after the June 23-26 run. Then we will all be able to get our stuff fixed up a bit more and hopefully can have a run later on. :thumbsup:

BTW, I like the last line of your sig :D

I'm with Caleb, I need some money to get some **** fixed and to get a locker. Early to mid July would probably be best.

Edited the first post w/ early to mid July as the time we want to have a run. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I really think a playground type park would be the way to go. That we can just mess around and basically do what we want, and not have to be on a scheduled type ride. River Rock is looking pretty good.

Back