KeatsCYN

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer XLT
So i got all the parts today..
And this week im gonna install it..
Would anyone like me to do a full write up (with pics) on this project?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think that would be cool , it's motorized correct ?

yes! especially if you're doing it on a first generation. i'm wanting to install one later this year, if you do this you'd be awesome

I think I may just turn around a put the pop up style in. I have the motorized one and the pop up style. ill have more details as to which this week sometime. the motorized one might be a little more difficult. (wiring and the sort)

Cant wait to see how this turns out even thought I already have a sunroof:popcorn:

i keep meaning to grab one from the junkyard. i'd rather have the motorized from the second generations, but i'm not sure i can fit it with my headliner.

are you gonna sawzall a big hole in the roof and try and fit It in?

I'm curious about your planned aproach but I guess as long as you seal it well its possible. :scratchhead:

I have almost all of it from my wrecked 99. The roof trim piece was discarded but I have the rest.

The wiring would not be hard at all. The over head consoles with a sunroof have just one extra power wire, and the ground wire is larger. So other than the cutting/welding of the roof, the rest would be minor. I didn't want to do any more body work on my 93, so I live with my OEM 93 sunroof. Regards,

i think a good way to "measure twice cut once" would be to make a good template for the sunroof hole. line it up perfect with either cardboard, or i was thinking using a big piece of sheet metal, so you just overlap, trace, cut. if anything the hole will be slightly smaller, but then you just grind it till it fits.

i'm definitely going to look into installing a motorized one, i'm redoing my interior, so i would think an interior shop should be able to make me a new headliner or modify the current one to fit. right?

... i would think an interior shop should be able to make me a new headliner or modify the current one to fit. right?

The stock headliner has a hole in it with a simple trim piece which covers the edge.

Ok so here it goes.
I went with the basic style for now just the pop up.
I forgot to pick up the interior plastics so the inside isnt fully done.
But it doesnt leak or anything.
Sat a waterhose on it for 30 minutes
:)
So first off i out lined the insert onto a piece of cardboard
Make sure you cut it to the inside so the screws will go into the cab
img277.jpg

I then removed the interior roof light
its 3 basic screws
img281.jpg

I then placed the cardboard onto the roof and measured to the spot I wanted
And cut
img282.jpg

So now i have the open hole and the light bracket
2 Screws hold the bracket
img283.jpg

I just spun the bracket the opposite way screwed it back in and screwed the fixture back up to it
img284.jpg

Next I placed the piece in which holds the glass I somehow cut it right on so it fit right in
img285.jpg

I then sealed the section between the sunroof and the roof with silicon
Then ya have to slide the brackets to pull the roof and the sun roof together
Make sure the metal bracket it pulled all the way up to the screw or it wont pull it down
img286.jpg

I then installed the hardware. 4 screws to the sunroof part and 1 for the knob its self
Then I placed the glass in and locked it into place
img287.jpg

img288.jpg

The whole process took me 45 minutes thats with cutting everything
any questions just ask :)

frikin sweet man.

I have a parts 1991 X in the garage, my Customized `92 that's my Daily Driver in the driveway, and our 'Soon to be lifted' `93 my wife drives daily.

The `91 has a sunroof that I want to put in my `92. but I noticed the `91 has a different headliner. Its totally flat where the dome light is, as it has the plain dome light (i.e. no map lights)....I'm okay with that, as I have the Over head console with MUCH better lighting anyway....

I noticed you kept the stock headliner in place....I have swapped interiors before, no big deal...but I am going to get my headliner re-covered in Suede before I do this..

Ryan

Ya I have another headliner laying in the garage just didnt feel like putting it in yet so i just left my old one in for now lol

My 93 Limited has the OEM sunroof like that, and the headliner has the bulges that could work with the later power sunroof. I could have done it, but decided to avoid the extra cutting/welding, and painting. I should part out my extra 99 sunroof. It's complete but no one has shown interest.

Does anyone have a manual sunroof from an early 90's Explorer.... Or know how to get one out of a junk one without breaking it?

Keats- good write up- did you put some trim around the cutout for the sunroof?

I actually re did the headliner totally.
If you want to keep the original take the headliner out and cut it seperate.
I knew I was going to redo mine so I just cut straight through.

And to remove one out of a junk yard. Just tear the headliner out... remove the glass then there are little nuts that release it from the vehicles roof... slide everything out and there ya go :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back