• Register Today It's free!

Sun Visor Disassembly

Phreaq

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT A/T 4x4

I was going to Necro the post to get Dano!'s attention. The video is set to private.
Decided to just post a new one.

I want to know the "trick" to getting the pin out of bar where you unclip the visor to move it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

extra info would be appreciated to explain your endeavor. first gen sun visor r/r requires 3 screws and a plastic squeeze connectction per side afik.

link involves 2nd gen, don't have any kowledge of that being different.
what is "pin" what is "bar" ?
your question may be more suited for a seperate part of forum.

@Dano!

hopefully this gets their attn but theyve been away a bit. echoing what childidenticant said

Dano last visited the forum in 2018...

IMG_8346.JPG

This is the one. There is a metal pin that runs through two loops per flap, kinda locks that corner together.

IMG_8347.JPG

This is the first side. I managed to somehow get the pin out of the first two loops, and broke one of the the other set.
I tried to do the same to the other side but cant seem to get it to move. I was hoping to find the magic in the video, and for some reason, I'm having trouble finding youtube videos for this.

The pin thickness measures: 2.4mm
Metal coat hanger: 2.2mm
Cut a short bit of coat hanger: 4"

Use a hammer, or some hard/solid mass, to tap the pin through the first two loops.
IMG_8350.JPG

Then pull the plastic barrel off
IMG_8351.JPG

After that I pulled the pin out the topside with needle nose pliers.
IMG_8352.JPG

Its a bit of a pain, for this side anyway. I feel like the first side would have worked well with the coat hanger. I used several random nails and bolts, one the first one, and while I did not get the pin all the way, it moved the first time I tapped it, unlike the second one.

Getting them back together will be interesting. These pins are pointed on both ends (also why they are hard to get out. I think I will flatten one side of each to give me more of a surface to push against less likely to pop off to the side.

So far I am wondering if it would have been easier to just cut these out and replace them with a nail or something ...

Putting new fabric on them.
To Be Continued...

Back